First demo lesson ever!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by live, Jul 26, 2013.

1. live

live Companion

Jul 26, 2013

My very first demo lesson is coming up! Out of all of my interviews, even when I was hired last summer, I've never had to do a demo. So this is new to me. The first half hour will be a panel interview, and the second half hour will be a demo.

Basically I can go any direction I want. The position will be for either 6th grade science OR 3rd. It was suggested that I do a 6th or 7th grade science lesson, since that is my area with most experience. I plan to do a 6th grade science lesson that could be adapted for younger grades. I will give them 2 variations of the lesson, but obviously only do the demo for one. Since they will be adopting the Next Generation Science Standards, I'm trying to find something hands-on where I can connect the new standards and the state standards, and also incorporates literacy and fit it all within the half hour. I think I'm biting off more than I can chew, but I really want this position.

Another thing: I MIGHT be doing the demo lesson with kids, OR just with the panel. I'll find out when I get there. I'd personally love it if they bring in students! If it's the panel only, do I occasionally address the panel with explanations of my thinking process throughout the demo, or do I treat them solely as if they're students?

I've read somewhere that you should treat a demo as it is an isolated lesson, rather than part of a unit or any classroom routine. Would you still mention how the lesson fits into the big picture (e.g. past or future lessons)?

And how complex or simple should a demo lesson be? I've never done one so I really can't compare a successful one versus an unsuccessful one. Plenty enough experience with the not-so-good interviews though! :rolleyes:

I'm just not sure how these go. I'd seriously appreciate anything anyone has to offer about demos, whether words of wisdom, what not to do, planning, or anything!! So far I've only managed to overwhelm myself!

3. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Remember the purpose of this. They want to see you in action. I would pick an isolated lesson in which you can show your enthusiasm and creativity.

They already have your resume.

4. live

live Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Thanks. I did create an isolated lesson. I was just wondering at what point you'd discuss where it fits into the scheme of things, or if that doesn't come up at all. I've never done one, so I don't know what to expect as far as their questions or what they're looking for.

5. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Of course, explain the purpose and why you are teaching it-- probably that is what you do anyway when you are teaching.

After been through many of these-- I think they are looking to see how you relate to students.

I have sat in on demos and been part of panels-- you would not believe how teachers that looked good on paper are terrible when you see them up there teaching.

I would like to know how this goes for you.

Good Luck!

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

You can mention how the lesson connects to your past and future lessons in your lesson plan that you give them. Best of luck!!

7. live

live Companion

Jul 30, 2013

Thank you!

It wasn't how I expected at all. It was very casual. They didn't bring any kids in for the demo and I know I floundered at some parts (so nervous!). They seemed to like it though.

The only question I'm worried about is when they asked if I had ever been reprimanded at a previous job. I didn't want to lie, so I told them that I had been spoken to at my charter school job because I wouldn't suspend students, since I wanted to keep the kids in school, not push them out. I tried to keep it brief. I'm not sure if that's going to hurt my chances. :/

Otherwise, they were affirmative throughout the interview, but I know there are so many good candidates out there for them choose from!

8. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

Good!

Sounds like it went well. Who knows what they will do with that question about reprimand. You were not actually reprimanded- just spoken to.

Let us know the results!

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

I agree, that doesn't sound like a reprimand. I think that would be a more formal thing. I think you just got some redirection. :thumb:

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 30, 2013

And if I were on the panel, I would note how you were honest and upfront about what happened...so kudos to you!

Keep us updated, please! :)

11. live

live Companion

Jul 31, 2013

Thank you! That is so reassuring to hear from all of you.

I keep fluctuating between thinking I did a great job and thinking that there's no way they'll hire me. The waiting drives me crazy, so I'm trying to keep busy. At least I should find out by Friday!

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2013

That's not something to be ashamed of, for being spoken to. Now, if you were browsing inappropriate sites online, or showing up late every day, and were spoken to, that's a different story.

Explain that you had your own beliefs, and that while you respect the school's position, you politely could not support it. The administration did not agree, and you had a discussion to work out the difference. Own that!

13. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Waiting to Hear!

I will check to see how things work out for you.

14. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

Of you hear, please post. I have been thinking about you.
    Thanks

15. live

live Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I didn't think to put it that way. That was my major concern...I don't want them to think that I'm not a team-player or that if they hired me, I'd go against what they believe just because I think differently. And I really don't want to badmouth my old school. But the way you stated it really helps!

16. live

live Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Thanks for checking in! I haven't heard yet, but I'm hoping that I will tomorrow. Hopefully my next update will be a good one!

17. live

live Companion

Aug 2, 2013

Well, I was supposed to hear back today but didn't. I'm assuming the worst in an attempt to maintain my sanity. I'll check in with them on Monday.