First days - Sorting Through School Supplies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cyansmom, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Cyansmom

Cyansmom Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Hi everyone!

I don't know how everyone does it at their schools but on the first days all our students arrive with all their supplies for the school year.

I've had major headaches in the past dealing with this.

Some kids come with blank notebooks, others have their names written on them. There are so many of everything - pencils, crayons, etc!

How do you organize the chaos? I would really like it to go smoothly this year.

Thanks!
    Ladena

3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 12, 2008

We encourage our parents to bring the supplies when they come meet the teacher the day before school starts. If that's not possible, I suggest having large paper bags (like grocery bags) for each type of item. For example, 1 for spirals, 1 for crayons, etc. This is what helps me, I'm not sure what supplies they bring in 4th. Another suggestion is telling parents not to write their child's name on any item. We put that at the top of our supply list and we request only solid colored items. (No Disney, Hannah Montana, etc for spirals, folders) That really helps because nobody remembers what color they briought, but they all will fight for the "special" one. Hope this helps some.

4. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I put 1 large paper bag and 1 gallon size ziplock on each student's desk. I write their name on them. I ask the students to put all their books in the bag and the small items (glue crayons,etc.) in the ziplock bag. This makes is easier for me to collect. Later, I make sure all their items have names and it also helps me to know who's missing something off the supply list. I hope this helps.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

I absolutely despise that part of the first day. YUCKY! Anyway I saw in someone's pictures that she sets up bins on her guided reading table for children to put supplies in on the first day and I really like this idea. I might have some labels ready in order to write their names on things if they aren't there already.

6. Cyansmom

Cyansmom Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Thanks for the ideas so far everyone!

I have tried the Ziplock bag idea but it ended up being such a mess. I would allow the students to go get supplies as needed and my drawer was terrible by Christmas!

I would prefer to keep all notebooks together and pass those out as needed. Now I'm thinking I could pass out Ziplocks and have kids keep their pencils, pens, glue only in there. They might even be able to keep the bag in their desk.

I just remember sorting through that was such a pain and I want it to go as smoothly as possible.

L

7. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I had everyone put their supplies into a paper bag the first day and then after school I documented who brought what. I don't know that this was absolutely necessary because I do community supplies, plus if someone didn't bring something I probably wouldn't push it because most of my kids don't have a lot of money.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

I put post-its on my counter top with each supply I keep (ex: germex). The kids put their things where the post-it is. It works for me.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2008

I have it all kept separate until I document it all as well (just in case we have to ask for more supplies later). I make a spreadsheet so I can just check things off and see the gaps at the same time.

Then I mix it up and put it away. Because we have community supplies I actually prefer parents not to write their names on things (though I have no control over it), especially the folders. The only exception is if they have special clipboards and not the generic cardboard brown looking ones.

10. mixedup1

mixedup1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I teach a mixed age third/fourth/fifth grade class. I have everyone take their backpack to their seat and we unload one type of supply at a time. We also have community supplies. We dump crayons etc. into the tubs and then I place a stack of file folder labels on each table. Then I have students write the subject and their name on the label and stick it to a folder and continue until all of the folders are labeled with subjects/names. I collect the extra spiral notebooks and hand them out to students when they need them later in the year. I also store all of the packages of notebook paper.

11. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

Would it be possible to have a room mom or some other parent who could volunteer their time to be in the room as a second set of hands while you are checking supplies and getting organized?

12. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Sounds like you are getting some good advice on how to organize the school supplies your students will bring. It sounds like a pain, but I am in a slightly worse situation. I am a Resource teacher, so my students' supplies are taken to their homeroom teacher, and I get none!

13. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I love this idea. I'm using it this year! Thanks!

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

I have been pondering the supply issue myself. This advice is great! I love the idea about creating a spreadsheet to document who brought what. (I'm a spreadsheet FANATIC!)

Thank you, all you super-genius teachers!

15. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

With the little ones, I usually go down the list going, "Who brought..." and have them bring me that item; then I move on to the next item. It takes longer, but with the little ones, it seems to be the easiest.

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 13, 2008

When I was in Elementary school on our school supply lists we had to bring in one of those big tubs with a lit that attached to it that way we would not loose the lid. We had to have our name on it with all our school suplies in it and our name on it. We put in it stuff like : crayons,markers, paper, glue, pencils,pens, ex.. The stuff for the class like papertowels, tissues, hand soap or w/e else was put in a big paper bag with our name on the outside of the bag so that our teacher could just check off who did not have supplies, she also checked our tubs which we kept under our desks we had to have one big enough to put our books in it too.

17. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 13, 2008

Can you ask your parents before the first day of school to please mark ALL supplies with their child's name in black permanent marker (even if the item will be a class item used by all)? I found that worked best, and on the fiirst day would have the class just leave their items in one central location; the class would use items I had provided for the first day, and at the end of the day, when all settled down, myself and my coteacher would go through all and put them in the appropriate places.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

I have a pre-made note for missing supplies. We all unpack together onto the tops of desks. I go down my supply list, naming one type of item at a time. I tell the kids to hold the item over their heads. Whoever is missing the named supply gets that item added to their pre-made missing supply note. Some of the items I collect- for instance kids are bringing 3 glue sticks each- I collect 2 of them and store for later, one they put in their desk. I go through the entire list- by the time we're done desks are organized, I have a few bins of things to put in storage or community containers and kids with missing supplies have notes to take home as reminders.

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

sundrop, this actually what I do. I know that it is hard for 1st grade moms to let their babies go. So, I usually ask some of my parents to stay to help me get the bags unpack. I have the children leave their things on the hooks in the hall until their names are called. As their names are called the list (spreadsheet) is documented to record who brought what.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

I like the idea of a pre-printed checklist. I will use a copy of the supply list for each student -

I have them put their bags of supplies off to the side of the room somewhere. Then everyone goes to their seats. I give everyone a pencil for the first day of school, and some kind of seat work/puzzle to work on. Then I go through each student's supplies with each student. I have bins in the reading area for each type of item: paper towels, Sharpies, crayons, pencils, etc.

It goes like this: everyone is working at their desks. Johnny comes to my area. I hand him Kleenex, he runs and puts it in the bin. Hand him crayons, he puts them either on his desk or in the community bin. Hand him the folders, he puts them in the bin. Hand him pencils, he puts 2 on his desk, the rest in the bin. I go through all the supplies with each student.

This year I will check off each item brought, using a copy of my supply list with the student's name on it. And, I will FOLLOW UP with a note home for missing supplies. What I have done in the past is to make up the missing supplies from the community supplies, and that has worked out. What bothers me is when several students do not send in the $$ for film developing/class projects. I feel funny hounding parents for cash! So we have made do with what we have (the rest comes out of my pocket).

21. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

We have open house the week before school starts, and the kids bring their supplies that night. The PTO puts on a bake sale, the boy scouts sell hot dogs, the gym and rock climbing wall are open, the computer lab is open for parents to edit registration information (changes in employment, contact information, etc). I LOVE IT! I usually have only 3-4 students that don't make it that night.

I get to meet all the parents before school starts, which is great! The kids find their desks and unload their supplies. I leave a checklist on their desks for them to check off supplies as they put them in their desks. They take the checklists home, so they can pick up anything they forgot over the weekend. On the first day, we take out Sharpies and label all the notebooks and folders with subjects. We don't do community supplies, so they just keep it all in their desks.

22. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

We share supplies and I don't keep track if students have brought them or not. So on the first day, I have out all the bins that I store extra supplies in. They are labelled with pictures and I usually put one of each item in the bins. The first parent that tries to sit around and talk to me, instead of letting me be with the students, gets the job of sorting out the supplies.