First Day

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Miss Took, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Miss Took

Miss Took New Member

Jul 29, 2007

I am a recent-grad school graduate, wet behind the ears, excited about my job--yet scared out of my mind first year teacher. I will be starting as a k-3 grade special education teacher. My fear is when the door closes on the first day, and 5 students, of varying levels, and two aides will look at me for direction.

What activities did you have planned for a first day of a self-contained classroom?:help:

3. SheTeaches

SheTeaches Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Miss Took, I'm in the same boat! brand new, 2 paras, 5 kids, grades 1-3, behavior disorders. My question is how do you address ALL levels? 3 grades and 4 subjects per day means 60 lessons per week?! can any experienced spec ed teacher give any advice? also any advice about teaching student w behavior disorders would be helpful!!

4. aautismj

aautismj Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Wow I am in the same boat also!! I have a k-2 autism classroom and although I have experience with autistic students I have never actually been in charge. Sorry I cant give a lot of advice but I wish you the best of luck!! Also I couldnt help but notice you were both in New Jersey...where abouts?

5. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Take a deep breath guys. This will be my third year in a self-contained class for kids with BD, and I still don't have everything figured out. You will find that teaching the various subjects comes together pretty nicely. I try and do as many subjects as a group as I can. For instance, I pick one social studies book and we all use it. The same for Science and writing activities. We break up into small groups for math and reading and my aides teach a group of students from my lesson plans.

As far as teaching kids with BD. Establish your rules on day one and model, model, model what you want them to do. They will try and manipulate the system, so make sure you and your aides are always on the same page. You will have to be very inventive and flexible as something that works wonders one day, may not work at all the next. Allow time for them to get out of their seats and move around in a structured manner. We do a lot of board work or simply sitting in different areas of the classroom.

The first day, go over your rules, play a getting to know you/team building game, take a tour of the school, maybe a following directions activity. If time allows, you could set up some centers to get some baseline assessments of their levels.

You will all be fine! Feel free to email me is you need anything or any other suggestions.

6. Miss Took

Miss Took New Member

Jul 30, 2007

wow thanks

that actually helps a lot! I fyou have any more suggestions I am ready to listen with an open ear!!!

im in millburn, for the curious!

7. aautismj

aautismj Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Congrats miss took on the job! Thats a great district! Do you know of any teacher supply stores around the area? I am in West Orange and trying to find a place where I can get posters and stuff for my new classroom??

8. Miss Took

Miss Took New Member

Aug 1, 2007

I have been hounding dollar stores to be honest as well as amazing savings. the stores for teachers around here are kinda expensive, but they have a teacher outlet store in pennsylvania that i wanna hit before the school year starts!:woot:

9. aautismj

aautismj Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I never even thought of looking at those places!! Do you know where the store is in pennsylvania? I am going there this weekend...

10. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I've since transferred back to general ed. but I taught SpEd for 2 years - I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and learned everything from my instructional assistant (she'd been there 8 years). She was incredible - never underestimate an aide's abilities or knowledge. If your aides have been there before, they are a great resource - especially because they are usually familiar with the students and their needs as well as general school routines. She was really great by explaining different techniques previous teachers had used (along with what worked and didn't work). I'd recommend spending a good chunk of the first day with some activities that will help you get a better understanding of the students' abilities and personalities.