First Day

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Beth2004, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 31, 2006

My first day went pretty well today.
    It started off kind-of rocky when I got into my room and realized that the before-care program will be in my classroom every morning from 7:30-8:15. I was hoping to get a few more things done this morning, but couldn't because of the kids that were in there. No biggie, though. Then, I start greeting parents and students at around 8:15 and a parent comes in with her daughter and her mother's adopted son. The kids are the same age and she had requested that both children be in the same class. Well, I didn't have him on my attendance list and the mom got a little upset. I ended up tracking down the principal, though, and apparently I was just given the wrong name. Soooo...I had to change the name tag on his desk and change my bulletin board, but the problem was solved!
    After that, things went very smoothly. I've already realized that I've got a few that I'm going to have to really stay on top of because they get distracted very easily, but with only 11 kids it should be a piece of cake! ;)
    All in all, it was a pretty good day.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2006

Sounds like you handled those couple of changes well. One thing I have realized with a small class and school is that the kids have been used to lots of attention. I'm really trying hard to get mine to be more independent learners this year.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 31, 2006

I think I did. :)

I was nervous going in this morning because I've never taught on the first day of school before. I did my student teaching from Jan-May and then long-term subbed last year from Nov-May. I had butterflies all morning until I started meeting them and their parents and realized "I can do this!" After working at the after school program for 7 years and spending all the time in the classrooms that I've been in I've gotten pretty comfortable with children and their parents. I sort-of fell into my groove and the rest of the day went really well.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2006

How nice. I love those days when everything seems to fall into place.

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 31, 2006

Well you got one of the hardest days down and took everything in stride. Good for you. Good luck the rest of the year!

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2006

Today was my first day in first grade. I've only had two first days before. The classroom stuff went great!! We talked about procedures. I let the kids look around the room and ask questions about everything--which led into many discussions about whatever they saw. We talked about rules. We toured the school. We read stories and colored pictures. The day was going soooo smoothly that you know something had to go wrong. Yup. Early in the morning, the secretary gave me a class list. The list had the bus route for some of the kids and 'pick-up' next to the ones who would be picked up. She asked me to fill in the blanks for the students who hadn't filled out that info yet. I asked the kids and they all knew how they were to get home. So I compared the list with the bus routes and checked their addresses. I gave them their bus routes. APPARENTLY, I was supposed to write in their stops too. I guess some of the kids didn't know which stop to get off at. According to the list, one child was supposed to ride bus 10. Mom had written a tag out for bus 4--but I didn't double check and sent him on bus 10 since that is what the paper from the office said. Mom came in the office searching for her child--since he wasn't on the bus she wanted him to be on and was livid!!! He just stayed on the bus and rode it back to school. I totally understand how upset the mom was because I would be if it was my child! I don't want to "blame" the office because it's been a madhouse there for the last two weeks, but I don't think I'm 100% to blame either. In my defense--no one sat us new people down and told us exactly what to do!!!!!!

I think I'll send the mom a card to say how sorry I am that it all happened.

8. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

You poor thing - how awful. It doesn't sound like your fault and how clever was the child to stay on the bus. It sounds confusing to me, so I'm not surprised that errors happen.

Anyway, I think a card is a great idea, although I wouldn't take too much responsibility, maybe praise the child's cleverness instead!