First day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Jul 22, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 22, 2017

What do the first 30 minutes of your first day look like?

Me:
    1) Greet, backpacks away, everything stays closed
    2) Find desks
    3) Getting to know you worksheet while dealing with questions and necessary tasks

Part 3 I'm kind of bored with. Looking for new ideas. :)

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 22, 2017

I have my students for 10 minutes before they go to their pull out class (library, pe, music, etc.) so I quickly take attendance, lunch count, and how they are getting home (in case the office needs to verify a bus number), and teach them how to line up before it's out the door. It's very fast and furious!

When they get back from pull out class, I do the standard introductions, myself and them, then I do a team building activity. The last few years, I've put them in groups and they have to build a puzzle, without seeing the picture on the box. After about 15 minutes, we stop to discuss the strategies they are using, then I pass out the boxes and let them finish the puzzle.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2017

My first 30 minutes are the 30 minutes before the bell rings. I expect to see about a hundred students, probably most of whom I already know, filtering in and out of my room as they wish. If I don't recognize them, I'll introduce myself to them and give them a quick rundown of how things work in my room. Easy peasy, at least for that part. Once the bell rings, I usually assist with late registrations and late arrivals, and that is hectic and busy.

5. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 7, 2017

Our schedule is so hectic on day 1. I have five classes plus a homeroom and study hall period. We have an assembly at some point and our school news broadcast at some point. I basically have a letter for students to read that says to take home the parent contact form/rules thing/supply list and get that signed. Then, their first assignment is to complete a "All About Me" type thing. I try to get those collected. I then give a quick welcome talk. I usually don't have time to do more than that. I don't even get into rules and stuff until day 2.

I sometimes play a type of ice breaker on day 1. I get a writing sample on day 2.

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 7, 2017

I had students color a regular folder with their favorite things that I keep all their data inside. It takes a LONG time and they literally can do for like 45 minutes since the arrival time is crazy!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 7, 2017

One year I had students decorate book marks. (Pre-cut strips of manilla tag). Super easy, low prep and they loved it. It also help set the tone for the year that reading is important and fun.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 7, 2017

What kind of movie would you recommend for the first day of school? Unless it's a short, relevant clip, I'd go with a read aloud.

nstructor likes this.
  9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 7, 2017

Don't feed the trolls. :p

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 7, 2017

What kind of instructions do you give for that? Are there any requirements? (I picture a few kids being done in a few minutes). I really like this idea.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 8, 2017

I guess that's how you got the name fun teacher.

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2017

We are not allowed to show any movies longer than 20 minutes. Doesn't that just bite the BIG one!

13. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2017

I teach first grade so when they walked it the folder was on their desk. I just told them they could decorate it with their favorite things. I made a sample as my folder and I had a pig (my favorite animal) my family, puppies, flowers, kinda random stuff on one side. Then on the other side I have a big rainbow that takes up the WHOLE folder. Inside I wrote statements like, School Rocks, I love first grade etc. So all space was full! I think with my example, they kinda knew what to expect. Then I just use that same folder every year. Some didn't finish and we are on week 2 and they are asking if they can go back to working on it. :)

otterpop likes this.
  14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 8, 2017

thanks so much for the detailed description! I think I may do this!

mrsammieb likes this.
  15. noyasysem

noyasysem Guest

Aug 11, 2017

I prepared myself the day before the first arrival and I was ready for all reactions.
    But luckily all things were gone so fine even beyond my expectation.
    Of course I agree that the first day was so boring but I was lucky.

16. rpan

rpan Cohort

Aug 11, 2017

If it's a bunch of students I haven't met before, I play a 'get to know the teacher' type activity. E.g. Two lies and a truth and they try to guess what is true about me. Or I play a clean version of Never Have I Ever with the students - it's a great way to get to know them, them to know me, and for us all to have a laugh. E.g. Never have I ever stepped in dog poo; never have I ever rolled around in mud; never have I ever eaten a worm; never have I ever cried when I got a needle etc.