First Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newteacherms, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Newteacherms

Newteacherms Rookie

Jul 29, 2012

Im still in graduate school and finishing up assignments. I do not know what to do right now.

I want to do parent folders and information index cards for this thursday as well as a power point presentation for my parents
    I want to do interactive folders for reading and social studies and I do not know where to start
    I need to plan the next two weeks lessons and I dont even know where to begin
    My room is not ready and I need posters......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

someone please help all advice welcome

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 29, 2012

I would say:
    1. Get everything ready for open house first since that is what is coming up next. Parents won't notice if your room is ready but they will notice if you aren't prepared to talk to them.
    2. Then start planning your lessons for the first week of school so you can feel prepared.
    3. Finish setting up your classroom.
    4. Work on week two's lesson plans.
    5. You probably don't need posters. You could have students create posters in groups for team building the first few weeks.
    6. Worry about the interactive folders after the first week of school if they are not required.

I should probably be making my own list. I've got about 10 different projects going on right now. :woot:

4. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

I'm in the same boat. I'm a second year teacher teaching a new grade and subject from last year. I'm half way thru with my Masters in Administration and I always usually end up putting my coursework to the side. Then I get points deducted for turning in late (if I'm allowed to turn it in at all) and rushing to do assignments at the last minute. :/

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

When is your first day of school? I usually do not focus on lesson plans until my room is ready for Meet the Teacher Night.
    This year it is on a Thursday and we start school the next Monday. So that gives me Friday and the weekend to plan.

The first few weeks are a lot of assessing and reviewing. Things go a bit slower, even for the big kids. On the first day of school (we have a full day), I usually only teach a math lesson. Everything else is fun and lets me know my students.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I do some decorating, but the kids love to help with that (4th graders), plus they do a hot air balloon project the first day with information about themselves that takes up one bulletin board for a few weeks.

I do some very basic, review academics the first day; I make it a game or groupwork because I sure can't talk all day the first day and they are not ready to focus that much.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

For me the most important step is being comfortable with the material I'm teaching.

Maybe you don't want strict lesson plans, but I would be spending my every waking moment organizing the curriculum. How are you going to explain each topic in such a way that the kids understand it?

8. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 29, 2012

Ok... deep breath! I'm not sure how much time you have before you start so I am going to give you a week of prep time.

First thing... get your room ready. Plan to spend all day MONDAY on that. Once your "home away from home" looks ready, you will be a bit more at ease. You can't take the room home with you but most of the other stuff you can. :)

Then, use TUESDAY to get your back-to-school stuff ready. Do searches online... then, beg, borrow, and steal if need be. OK, that came out wrong but truly, use other people's work to inspire you and help you. Most people post their work online to share. :)

WEDNESDAY should be focused on curriculum... plan the first week and see where it takes you. You should be worried about getting the classroom culture created, rules/expectations verbalized, the procedures reviewed, practiced, and practiced again. You need to learn about your new kiddos through readiness assessments and learning activities. After that, you add the curriculum in small doses.

THURSDAY should be focused on polishing up your room and reviewing your presentation & materials for the parents. You can continue to work on your planning.

FRIDAY, you can work on the interactive folders. This can be an on-going work in progress.

The reality is: preparing an elementary classroom requires many hours of planning, preparing, and decorating. Parents expect that your room be "ready". It (the room) is their first impression of you and the quality of your teaching. Sad, but true. You will put in lots of hours at the beginning of the year getting all the little details ironed out. Be truly prepared to spend time at home getting everything done that you can't at school.

I've been teaching for 15 years and still put many hours into the room, planning, preparing for "back-to-school" night, and organizing. Although we do not start until the end of August, I will be starting to go into my classroom for little doses here and there. The week before my contract begins, I will be there for 1/2 days already. :)

Good luck... take things in small bites so you don't feel overwhelmed.

9. Newteacherms

Newteacherms Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

August 6th.... :dizzy:

10. misstee

misstee Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

I'm a first year teacher and my superintendents (former hs teacher) advice to me was finish your room first - like many of the others said, it is the first impression people get, regardless of whether it's parents or other teachers. I've been working on my room for almost a week now and I am already feeling better and less overwhelmed.

Like someone mentioned, you can take everything else home with you. I know I don't have experience backing me up, so I'm probably not in a position to give advice but that is what I would do! :)

Good Luck!