First day...

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Beth2004, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 28, 2005

Ok, well all of the kids just left and my first day in my new position (long-term sub) is over. I was with the regular classroom teacher all day, which was great, but she had to leave a little bit early because of a dr's appt so I was alone for the end of the day. Apparently, her doctor told her that if she's 3-4 centimeters dilated already that he's going to induce her today! :eek: That would mean that as of tomorrow I'd be on my own! I wasn't prepared for that! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though, that she'll be here with me at least until the end of the week. We've already planned that I'm going to start teaching math tomorrow so at least if she's not here I've got some sort of clue of what's going on. Anyway, just thought I'd post to let everyone know how my day went.

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 28, 2005

Oh Beth! How exciting and scary at the same time. I'm sure you'll do fine. If she doesn't come I'd do some getting to know you activities with the kids. It may help them adjust to the situation. I know you've been preparing for this. When will you know if she'll be there or not?

Side note-I just noticed your avatar on another thread. Too cute! I kept missing Santa popping out.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 28, 2005

Well, it sounds like you had a great day today - and might well have a challenging job before you! I hope that you have a wonderful learning experience with your new class.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 28, 2005

Glad to hear your first day went so well. Hopefully she is there tomorrow. If not then you can handle it! I know you can.

Good luck keep us updated!

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 28, 2005

I won't know if she's going to be there tomorrow or not until I get there tomorrow! It's out of my control so I'll just have to do what I have to do! :)

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 28, 2005

ewwwwwww you have to wait until tomorrow. I'm surprised they don't have you on a call list.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2005

Can you call her at home???...OOhhh, I guess if she's being induced that would be difficult, huh? Well, good luck tomorrow. Let us know how things go!

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 28, 2005

Yeah, I'm a little nervous that she may not be there, but I'll just have to play the hand I'm dealt. :)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 28, 2005

Beth, I bet you will do a great job. Enjoy your new class.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 28, 2005

Beht, How were the kids? I am happy it went well. Have fun:)

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 28, 2005

The kids were really good. They are chatty and can get a little too silly at times, but no major behavior problems at all....so far. :) Their teacher said they're a good group, though.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2005

Yay, Beth! Aren't you relieved you got that first day out of the way? I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience!!! Is fourth the grade you were hoping for? I mean, is that your ideal grade level to teach?

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 28, 2005

I am relieved that the first day is out of the way, but I'm a little nervous about tomorrow. First of all because I don't know if the teacher is going to be there or not, and second of all because if she is there I'm worried that she's going to be very critical of my teaching (I'm starting to teach math tomorrow!). After all, I am going to be teaching HER students. ;)
    Fourth grade is definitely the grade level I want. I've said for a long time that 9 and 10 year olds are my favorite age and then I student taught in 4th and loved it.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 28, 2005

Oh, don't worry about the teacher being critical of you. You have already built a rapport with her..........and you got chosen because of your abilities..........she will have every confidence in you!!! :) The kids are going to love you as well!!!!!!

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 28, 2005

I'm trying not to be nervous, but that's just me...I'm a worrier! lol
    The good thing is, I am pretty good at appearing calm even when I'm really nervous. I'm not sure why, but I've just gotten good at it, I guess. :) I've got the lesson all planned out and it's a pretty easy concept to teach that I think the kids will grasp easily. It's also using the same math series that I used during student teaching so I'm pretty familier with it.

17. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Nov 28, 2005

I'm glad to hear everything went well. Fourth graders can be fun, you can actually have conversations with them. I hope you have an easy week!!!

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 29, 2005

My second day went wonderful! :)
    I taught Math today and the kids really did a great job. They're warming up to me pretty quickly and it seems like it's going to be a smooth transition for all of us! I think as of tomorrow I will be teaching Reading/LA and Math and then after this week I'll be able to start with Science too (the student teacher next door is teaching Science to both classes right now). I really had a good time today. I love being in the classroom and it was great to start teaching again.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 29, 2005

So I take it no baby? Does she know what she is having? I think I am going to go insane if my friend doesn't have her baby soon. I have called her almost everyday for two weeks.

20. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 29, 2005

What about the "condition" of the regular classroom teacher?

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 29, 2005

No, no baby. She looks about ready to pop, though! lol She was in pain all day today, so who knows what's going to happen. They're not inducing her yet, but it seems like she could go into labor any day now.
    And yes, she knows what she's having. She's having a boy.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 29, 2005

What is up with the boys lately? The last three babies of friends have been boys.

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 29, 2005

I was so happy teaching math today, though. It's time like that when I realize that this really is what I want to do. I just feel like I'm "in my element" ya know? I can't wait to start teaching everything and I really can't wait to have the room to myself. :)

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 29, 2005

I can't wait either. And I really want this third grade job. And in the past I haven't liked third graders but I have a feeling I will love these guys!

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 29, 2005

I just love that feeling, Beth. So glad you found it. Jaime, I never thought I'd like 3rd graders but I taught them for 2 years and loved them. Then I went to 5th and loved them!

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

Congrats on surviving your first two days, Beth!! I know you'll do great! Just be prepared for the unexpected...katie's water broke during school and she left to go to the hospital. I was in the middle of a parent-teacher conference with the principal when the secretary came over the intercom in my room and said "Leigh, katie's being admitted to the hospital. Good luck!" (and she emphasized the Good Luck part!) lol But I survived and you will too when the time comes!! :)

Have a great rest of the week. I can't wait to hear all about 4th grade...I hope to teach that next year:) And JaimeMarie- 3rd is awesome too...thats what I have now! :)

And I know a lot of boy babies coming into this world recently too!! :)

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2005

I always heard that lots of boy babies are born during time of war. It may be a wives tale, but it really seems to happen. My good friend is having a boy on Christmas Eve.

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 30, 2005

At this point I'd take a position teaching any grade level for next year! haha...I'd love 4th, though. :)