First Day!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissTeach22, Jul 19, 2010.

1. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Hi :) I am new to 1st grade & wondering what you do for the first day of school? I am planning on doing get to know you activities/classroom rules/procedures/some read alouds (and of course review, review, review these throughout the first weeks!)...but not planning to teach. Do any of you teach on the first day? If so, what? Also - any cute 1st day activities? I'm coming from K where we do a lot of first-day fun things such as the Kissing Hand activities, tour the school, etc. So what does a 1st grade teacher do?

Thanks for your responses!:love:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

Unpacking supplies
    Read aloud
    Create class rules
    Teach some classroom procedures
    Class 'bonding' activities (student scavenger hunt, etc)
    Art activity/writing for first BB (for example, if you were doing 'Sailing into First Grade', you could have kids decorate cut out sails for paper sailboats- decorate with their 'favorites', things about them)

4. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Just curious...what kissing hand activity do you do?.

Is there a reason why you couldn't still do that in 1st grade? Also, I think a school tour is still a good idea for first graders...some may have forgot, some are new, and most are still nervous on the first day just like in K. I also do a bulletin boas activity, read aloud, lunch/recess rules and procedures as well as in classroom. I always do a beginning of the year writing...usually "My Family"..... Then a do the same for middle and end of year. I would say most of what you do on first day of K would be just as good for 1st grade!!!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

We no longer do the Kissing Hand activity in first grade since they do it in Kinder at our school. We still read the book, however we don't do the handprint with the cute poem.
    The day goes by so fast... we are mainly teaching routines and procedures. It takes forever just to learn how to come to the carpet or stand and walk in line.
    We do several read alouds, school tour, a handwriting sample and a first day portrait (which I keep until the last day -along with the handwriting sample- and it is put into a little portfolio I create for each child).
    I can't really think of the other stuff - trying to remember!

6. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I can understand why you wouldn't do the Kissing Hand activity if they do it in K. I have never heard of it....what is it? Would it be something appropriate for first if our K doesn't do it? IDK..maybe it's not but I am not sure what it is...thanks!!

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

I do a playdough activity. A few years ago a teacher from this forum told me about it and I have used it every year since then. I make my own playdough. Then I put a drop of food coloring in the middle. I cover the hole with playdough. So the balls of playdough look white. I tell the kids that I am giving them magic playdough. If it turns colors they will have a great year. I read them a book while they start working their playdough. Normally I can't get through the book before they start with the wows and cools. The playdough changes color in front of them. I do this to end the first day and it goes over really well. Especially when I let them take the playdough home.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

Yes, I believe it is totally appropriate for 1st if K doesn't do it. We read The Kissing Hand. We talk about Chester and his feeling and what happens in the story. We relate it to their own lives. In first grade, the kids traced their hands. They took their traced hands home and their mom (or someone very special) put on lipstick and kissed the hand. They brought their kissed hands back to school and we taped them to their chairs or tables or wherever. Whenever they felt lonely, scared, sad, etc., they could look at the hand and remember that somebody very special believes in them.

Our kinder does it a little different. They read the book and discuss. then they bust out the paint and each kid does a handprint. They let them dry and then glue a little paper heart in the middle. They send home the hand with a poem. I dont recall the poem.

this idea seems cool!

9. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Yes I did the Kinder version of the Kissing Hand where we painted there hands and put a little heart and poem and it was sent home..

About the magic playdoh - love it!!! But, does the food coloring get on their hands??

10. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I did a read aloud/activity last year that the kids loved. I read the story "Little Blue Little Yellow" by Leo Lionni. Then we talked about what happened to blue and yellow (they hugged and made green) I had blue and yellow icing in tubes and mini nilla wafers. Each child got 2 wafers, one with a blue dot and one with a yellow dot. All at the same time we put them together and twisted until they turned green. I took pictures of each table after they had made green. The kids loved it! You could also do a rewriting of what would happen if blue and red were best friends or yellow and red. You could even do a graph of favorite colors. :)

11. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

No the food coloring doesn't get on their hands. I always test one as I am making them to make sure. If you get too much food coloring it will. If you don't get enough food coloring the playdough won't change colors. So, I always test one as I am making them to know how much food coloring to put in.

12. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

LOVE the playdoh idea!! That is super cute. Do you have a specific read aloud that you use??

13. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I normally read First Day Jitters during this time.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

Are there any activities that go with First Day Jitters?

15. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

I still do the school tour because it's a new classroom and new space etc. Also we don't have bathrooms in our classroom and they get a bit confused with that. We stop in the lunch room and role play lunchtime etc. I also read the book Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes and we talk about our worries and how we can be first grade problem solvers and solve their worries etc. We put out a Worries notebook where they can write their worries.
    I also do a first day of first grade portrait where they draw themselves on the first day of first grade.
    We put our first poem in our poetry notebooks (a first day of school poem)
    We have our first morning meeting (greeting, morning message etc.)
    We read the book First Day Jitters.
    We put out names up on the word wall.

I agree with other posters that the first day flies. I always find the most stressful part of the day is putting their supplies away and keeping them occupied during that time. I now have them bring their supplies in the day before school starts to see the room and drop those off. Saves tons and tons of headaches and calms the kids and parents nerves a bit.

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

We have our kids bring their supplies at "Meet and Greet" a few days before the first day of school. It gives me time to sort out the supplies they have labeled for their desks and the stuff that we will use as a class.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2010

I haven't done the "first day" photos before, but I plan to this year. I have gotten many great ideas just from this thread! I tend to read First Day Jitters and The Night Before First Grade. I have also had them complete a puzzle cut-out to look like themselves - then we have a BB in which we all fit together! I have them put supplies on a table as they come in, and I tend to them, so that's really not much of an issue. I'm planning on taking pictures of the right and wrong ways to do things when we're practicing things (lining up, etc.), then posting them on a BB as well. We do the school tour, for all of the reasons mentioned previously. We put names (including mine) on the word wall - in fact, those are our first words, followed by classroom "labels".

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

ok that is awesome!!!!!! I love this idea.

19. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 22, 2010

thank you all so much for sharing - I love your ideas and am glad to see I'm on the same page for 1st day activities! :)

20. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

I love all the ideas here! :thumb:

I am going to do first day portraits to hang up and I am also going to have them work on their "All About Me" posters they will share later in the week. We'll do our first morning meeting and then go over creating class rules and procedures etc.

21. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

Where do you get these puzzle pieces online? I have looked everywhere online and can not find a class set. I also have no clue how you would go about making them.

22. TootyTa

TootyTa Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

This is my first year teaching, but I plan on doing one of the activities my mentor teacher did the first day of school called Math About Me. We used large manila paper and folded it into six equal sections.

On the first section, the students wrote Math About Me By:_________. On the next five five sections, they wrote their age, favorite number, how many pets they have, how many people are in their family, and their birthday. They were encouraged to illustrate and use their imagination.

After students were finished, we asked for volunteers to share their hard work with the class. The kids enjoyed it, and it was a great activity to get to know a little bit about the students.

23. LuckySally

LuckySally New Member

Jul 22, 2010

I'm a first year first grade teacher -- what type of supplies do you have your first graders bring??

24. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

Your in luck I have a list from last year's first grade (I am new to 1st grade too!)

They need to have :

#2 pencils
    2 composition books
    4 folders
    glue stick
    crayons
    2 boxes of tissue
    ruler
    clorox wipes
    2 boxes of ziploc bags
    colored pencils
    scissors
    pencil pouch
    4 more composition notebooks
    pencil sharpener

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2010

I wish I could help - I picked them up at a local school supply store! Have you tried reallygoodstuff.com or carson-dellosa?

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

No. I should check.

27. LuckySally

LuckySally New Member

Jul 24, 2010

Cool, thanks! What were all of the composition books for?

28. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

We use our composition books for:

reading response journal
    imagination journal (morning work - free write)
    science notebook
    guided writing (during guided reading)

regular spiral for math journal

29. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

I get the people puzzle pieces (they look like people) from Really Good Stuff...

30. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

Oh- looked on my fridge and found the poem:

It's my first day of school
    And The Kissing Hand is what we read.
    it's about a raccoon
    Who did just as his parents said.
    Like the raccoon's first day at school
    I was scared and a little shy.
    But because of what you said
    I was brave and I got by.
    All through the year I'll make
    more things for you.
    So as I change and as I learn
    You can see my growth, too!

31. RedSoxGirl

RedSoxGirl New Member

Jul 24, 2010

I Love "Little Blue and Little Yellow" and read it every year. This will be my 7th year in 1st grade and you all have some great ideas! Thanks for sharing! :)

32. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 13, 2010

I do a little bit of "teaching" on the first day, but I sneak most of it in. I write my name on the board "Mr. Belkengren (BELL-can-grin) and show them a bell, a can, and a smiley face (grin). After I pronounce it, I ask why the BELL part is printed in all capital letters. They almost always are able to tell me that it's because it's the loudest part. They just learned about pronunciation guides. I also have them raise their hands if they're at the yellow team, red team, blue team, or green team. When I ask how they knew which team they were at, they tell me it's because all of the pencils, name tags, pencil boxes, stickers on the desks were that color. They just learned about inferencing. We also make an active listening anchor chart on the first day. I model what it's like to NOT listen well to someone, and then we make a list of "We are active listeners because..." -we are quiet when someone is talking. -we are looking at the speaker. -we are thinking of questions to ask the speaker. etc.

33. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

Hi-- So sorry it took me so long to reply!!! We have grade level supplies that kids bring in. They bring in a plastic folder for their take home folder, money for math, extra lunch money, cleaning wipes, tissues, a family photo in a free standing frame and I believe that is all... I have to review the list again! :)

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 13, 2010

Great ideas, lysander! Thanks!

35. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2010

Teach1st
    Love this idea! Would you mind sharing your play dough recipe?I would love to try this on the first day!

36. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

If your worried about food coloring getting on their hands, put the playdough balls in small ziploc baggies and have them squish it thru the bag.

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 20, 2010

I did the magic playdoh trick - they LOVED it! Instead of food coloring, I used washable poster paint (came in a tube and I just put a small dollop inside each "ball." Then I placed the "white" balls of playdoh in ziplock bags (blue paint for boys and red (pink) for girls) and gave them out at the perfect time!