First Day, Yet Classes Have Started

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachTN, Aug 14, 2013.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

I am coming into the classroom after the school year started (school started August 1st). I will be asking my principal a ton of questions today, but had some for you...

For the first day, I planned to introduce myself, go over the class rules/procedures, and give a pre-test to students to try to gauge their knowledge in the subjects. Would you do something different since the students have already been in school for a couple of weeks?

I will be teaching 7th graders - do you still send a note home to introduce yourself to parents? I remember my kids getting this with elem teachers, but can't remember if it happened in middle school.

I am planning to offer a rewards system - I wanted to catch them doing good and reward them for those efforts. I know for instant gratification, I can provide a sticker (they LOVE stickers in secondary!!), but what would you provide for say a bigger treat at the end of the week? I thought of drawing a name from all those "do-gooders" (am I really teaching language arts?!?) to give something at the end of the week, not sure if a cool pencil or eraser will cut it though.

Any other tips for coming in after school has started - especially for a new teacher?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2013

No real tips for coming in after the start of the year. Just be consistent and know your subject. I think your plan for day 1 sounds good, but overplan a bit since 7th graders are pretty savvy about rules and procedures. They may not follow them, but they know what is appropriate. That's one of my big rules: be appropriate - it covers just about every silly thing they can come up with.
    As far as rewards, we have a schoolwide system now, but I had some certificates that were free like switch seats, rolly chair, 2 points, 1/2 homework and I also had hard candies and bookmarks.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 14, 2013

I would send home a letter that gives an overview of the class you teach. I would also include policies and procedures in the letters, and I would have parents sign off on the letter.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2013

I had to come in the middle of the year once, but that was for high school and it was right before midyear exams so I went straight to the content/review after a 5 minute introduction. I would make sure to remain confident that this is your classroom now and for the most part, don't listen to "The other teacher let us do this!" I also touch base with the old teacher before going in if possible so you understand the classroom climate. (And maybe he/she already pre-tested?) I think your plan for the 1st day sounds good. I definitely would send home a letter introducing yourself to parents for 7th grade. :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

Get into some content as soon as you can!

Have a great day!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

I would spend no more than about 5 minutes going over rules and procedures. They already know the rules, so you shouldn't have to say much. Your procedures will likely come up as they need to, so don't waste a lot of time going over them now before they're even a factor.

I would not send a letter home to parents. If you want to send home a syllabus or course expectations or something, ask your admin first. The school might have already covered that, or it might be the school's practice to not do that sort of thing.

I think that a pre-test is a good idea. Get them working right away.

8. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

That is one of my questions for the principal - what have the students already done? That will help me a lot. I also want an idea of what they know and what I may need to plan for.

9. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 15, 2013

Enjoy your day and keep us updated on how everything is going!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

No real advice that hasn't already been give...Just wanted to say good luck!