First Day went GREAT!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsDeb, Aug 24, 2009.

1. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

The first day of school ran very smoothly. My students are great! I have some issues (I have a new student who I suspect can't read) but overall I feel really good about the new year ahead. I didn't even notice the boy/girl (14/6) imbalance!
    The keys to a successful first day? Overplan, script it out and spend a lot of time reviewing rules, procedures and team-building activities. More of the same for tomorrow!
    :thumb:

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I'm glad you had a great day! My class ratio is about the same 13 boys and 7 girls...so much better than last year when I had 13 girls and 7 boys (ugggggggggggh...the attitudes of a bunch of 4th grade girls LOL).

I'm still way overplanned and we've been in school for 4 days now, but I'd rather have too much than not enough

4. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

Overplanning is a good thing!!
    I agree....I think I'll have a much better year with a lot of boys! Not a lot of drama queens! :)

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 24, 2009

So glad you had a great first day!!!

We were all talking on my campus at how well things had gone our first day and it was by far the best first day I've even had in my career.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

Well you've all given me hope that maybe there's something in the air blowing around! Our first day with the kids isn't until Sept. 8th but I'm excited to get there and get this year rolling! I have plans to travel next summer!

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 24, 2009

My day was good. Nothing stood out that made it the best of all- every group is different- but I felt like I was talking about procedures a lot. Of course, that's a good thing, but I felt like it was redundant at times. Everyone was quite tired, but at least tomorrow we will finally have snack and the kids will feel better about not eating lunch until 12:17. I believe tomorrow... they'll be more in the swing of the routine. It was hard to get them to write much, and the math the Investigations book was too easy for them. Tomorrow I overplanned with activities, though, especially in math. :) That always helps to fill in any possible gaps.

I've never had such an intelligent group, though... there's a lot of activity going on in their brains, from what I can tell. They're very inquisitive and unique- and I think that will help them to grow so much.

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 24, 2009

I hope my first day goes well. I'm over planning as much as I can. I can't get into my room until possibly this thursday. School starts Sept 8.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 25, 2009

My second day was superior. Better than the first day. I need to get students to exert stronger effort, though- I cannot take the "turn in subpar" work for too long from a few people. I am going to start explaining what a good grade looks like tomorrow along with my procedures. This group needs to see examples and non-examples. This class has needed to jump into instruction a little faster (because they for the most part are VERY, very, very high), though we are talking a great deal about procedures. I am certainly excited about getting them to the next level, though- building cells with them.

Now, we're on the seventh chapter of a chapter book- No Talking by Andrew Clements, though it's only page 40 or so. Short chapters. :)

Cute moment- "Ms. Jasztal, I used the five finger test and found a Just Right book for me." Awesome for the second day of school.

10. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

I agree Ms. J! I too have been receiving some subpar work these first few days. I'm still thinking about ways to address this early on. I like your idea about showing examples, I may try that.

I'm glad your 2nd day went so well!

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

I had a better than expected first day today! I don't know that we got as much done as I hoped, but the kids were well behaved (Honeymoon? I hope not!), and we were busy, busy, busy!

The thing I am most glad we got done was a proficiency style timed writing. I love having that baseline to compare to their writing throughout the year, but a lot of times I skip it because it takes such a big chunk of time.

I have one little girl who sulked the whole day. She didn't join in with any of the Class/Yes or Teach/Ok which the rest of the class LOVED. She had a bad attitude on Sunday at the Open House, too. I'm hoping to win her over eventually!

12. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope it goes on this way!!!!

13. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

Awesome glad you had such a great day!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

That's great!

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2009

Today, I saw some improved work. I got my students to write stronger sentences- I was impressed with the quality of some of their sentences. A few need major assistance, also. The class was very good, but I am hoping they keep understand the importance of being respectful. They're very social in nature, which is great, but I hope they don't take that the wrong way! :)