first day/week books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by deko9, Jul 29, 2003.

1. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Jul 29, 2003

Any NEW ideas regarding great first day of school read alouds? I've done Giving Tree, and Rainbow Fish. I have the same group as last year (I'm the one looking for any cool looping ideas too) so those two won't work. I have heard good things happen when 'Little engine That Could' is used. It may be too young for my 3rd graders. Anything you guys have seen?
    By the way... Is it too early to start thinking about the first day of school!! UHG!!!;)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2003

First day jitters
    Miss Malarkey does not live in room 9 (room # could be wrong)

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 29, 2003

Oh, the Places You'll Go! Dr. Seuss

5. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jul 30, 2003

Oh, the Places You'll Go

I was going to read this book to my Kindergarteners and use that to go with their portfolios. My kids couldn't sit through the book, it was a little too long but I think it would be great for 3rd grade. I was going to use this for their portfolios also. I was going to either use a pizza box or posterboard folded into a folder and make a briefcase out of them by adding handles. On one side I was going to write "Oh, the Places I've Been" and have them draw a picture of themselves at the beginning of the year. On the other side I was going to write "Oh, the Places I'm Going" and have the kids ddraw a picture of what they think they will look like in the future. Maybe with older kids you could even have them write a paragraph or two about themselves in the beginning and at the end of the year.

I know you asked for book suggestions but I am dying to try this idea if I ever!!! get to teach anything above Kindergarten so I thought I would share.:)

Kasey

6. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Jul 30, 2003

I love First Day Jitters. The Kissing Hand is also one of my favorites. I also use Crysanthymum (sp?) by Kevin Henkes.