First day tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacheroo, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 22, 2007

My first day of school is tomorrow! I think I'm ready, at least for Monday. My classroom is organized and day one plans are done. I have copies made and my back to school night stuff set to go. I am SO much better off than I was last year, getting hired the day before I started.
    Here are my day one plans:

Day 1

8:00 Greet each student with a handshake and a smile!
    On Desk: Back-to-School bags, text books, agenda, folders, Introducing Me Survey. Allow students 3 minutes to peruse their books and to put them away. Do not allow them to open the bag! Take roll/lunch count orally. Students should quietly complete the survey (10 minutes). When finished, they may peruse books/take guesses as to what may be in the bag. When surveys are completed, teach how to pass in papers (to the right).

8:20 Students open bags. Give five minutes for them to think about what each item means. Discuss with partner. Ask for responses. Pass out key. Talk about each item.

8:45 Introduce myself.
    Pass out paper. Give "Teacher Test"
    (Teach proper heading format)
    1. What is my first name?
    2. Where was I born?
    3. Where did I go to high school and college?
    4. How many brothers and sisters do I have?
    5. Am I married?
    6. How many children do I have?
    7. What is my favorite hobby?
    8. How long have I lived in *&^* ?
    9. Do I have any pets?

Go over responses, allowing for responses. Then give the correct answers.

9:15 Welcome Back Bingo (students may work with a partner). Tickets for the winning group who gets one row and for getting the whole grid completed.

9:40 Math Drill (Multiplication – 3 minutes)

9:45 Ask if there are any new students. Assign them a “tour guide” to help show them around school during recess time. Go over lining up procedures. No number order, unless it becomes necessary (exception: fire drills). Walk outside and take pictures.

10:10 Recess

10:30 Cooperative Activity – Peanut Butter Snack
    Students broken up into pairs. One person is blindfolded while the other walks them through making a peanut butter/graham cracker sandwich. No one eats until they are all made.

10:55 Go over Procedures/Rules/Daily Schedule (Students fill in Cloze passage)
     Bathroom/water signals (water bottles should be filled at start of day).
     Appropriate/Inappropriate times for bathroom/water/pencils, etc.
     Learning/Behavior Log – students put log into homework folder.
     Card system:
    o Green Great day! 5 points
    o Yellow Warning 3 points
    o Blue Letter sent home 1 point
    o White Detention 0 points
    o Red Office Visit 0 points

 S afety First
    T here and Ready
    A ct Responsibly
    R espect Yourself and Others
    ~ Be a person of value and integrity!

 Rewards/Consequences of following rules
     Classroom jobs
     Daily Schedule (use transparency)

11:40 T-shirt design and Bio-Glyph projects. Introduce both projects. Have students begin with t-shirts, then work on bio-glyphs. Begin fluencies.

?? If time allows: Word Analysis Test ??

Go over lunch room procedures/policies. Each child should have their lunch number memorized. Have their neighbor quiz them on it.

12:40 Lunch

1:25 STAR Rules
    Break into teams. Each team should come up with a definition and three examples for each rule. Brainstorm on chart paper or overhead.

2:10 Packing up procedures – desk clean, surrounding area clean, chairs stacked, stand behind desk quietly.

2:30 Dismissal

Homework:

Introduce About Me Newspaper – find pictures and write rough draft of “news story”
    Create their own “Student” test, containing five questions. They will quiz a partner tomorrow.

Any last advice? I'm really excited but I feel like I could throw up at any moment. :) Here we go...

3. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Good Luck! Sounds like a fun-and -action packed day already!
    You'll do fine.
    You start school VERY early, though....in July? When is your summer break?

4. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 22, 2007

We don't really have one, we're year-round so we have a month off every three months. I had two and a half weeks for summer.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

Good luck! I like your "Teacher Test". Remember to check about peanut butter allergies.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

You are ready to go!
    How many students do you have? Lucky you! I can't wait to get my class roster! Have a wonderful day. You will do great!

7. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

TOMORROW!? You are lucky...I start back up with the kiddos sept. 5th. I can't wait! New grade and NEW classroom ;).

Good luck...let us know how it goes.

8. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Wow, you sound so organized! Hope your first day back goes as well as you planned! :)

9. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 22, 2007

26 kiddos.

Thanks for the reminder about peanut allergies!! Nothing was mentioned on the health document I received, but I will definitely ask them before doing this!

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

Wow! It looks as though you have your day mapped out so that the students are going to be kept busy with an assortment of activities. I like the fact that you have them interacting with one another and not just sitting there, listening to you talk all day. Let us know how it goes!

11. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

Wait...when did you end school? It amazes me how you are starting tomorrow! Get a good night sleep too.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

You have some great ideas! I bet your day will be wonderful :)

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

Can you explain the Welcome Back Bingo.

Your thread has encouraged me to finally plan out the first day of school. I've been procrastinating, but I've finally started! I'm using your post to give me some ideas on what I would like to do.

14. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 24, 2007

My first day went great!!! Such a difference from last year! The kids are wonderful and so little compared to end-of-year sixth graders! :)

CLZ> My last day of school was June 29th. I like the year round schedule until I have no summer. And this summer was especially bad because I had two weeks to change schools. It was a little crazy.

Peachyness> For welcome back bingo I give each student a chart with 25 squares. In each square is something different (ie. has been to another country, is the middle child, has the longest hair in class, flew in an airplane over the summer, lives in an apartment, etc.) Then the students go around and ask each other to sign their page in boxes that are true for them. They may not sign a persons page more than one time. The first person who gets a Bingo (5 in a row) wins. It's a little chaotic, but the kids love it and they get to know each other a little better.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2007

Thank you for explaining this. I like this idea. I think I will have to try this one out!

I'm glad to hear that your first day went great!! I hope you have a wonderful year.