First Day to Sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Galois, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 17, 2011

Hi folks. Since I didn't get a permanent job, I have to make good use of my subbing job. Now, since school has just opened, when was the earliest day that you have gotten a sub job? Thanks for this info.

3. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 17, 2011

I got called Sept 1 last year, but that's the only time they called me all year. Luckily, I had a FT job soon after.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2011

I've been a sub for a LONG time so it will take too long to see when I started ea time, but this yr, I started on day 5, which will be M-F ALL school year! This is earlier than I started last yr.

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 17, 2011

I have my first scheduled day next week which will be the 2nd week of school. I have most of September already booked and some other days throughout the year. This will be my 3rd year of subbing and my first year wasn't quite like that. I have more teachers that know me now. Last year I started subbing steady on September 1st but had a few random days in August. My first year of subbing I started sometime in September.

6. lilb1414

lilb1414 New Member

Aug 18, 2011

I have been fortunate enough to work from the very first day of school (well, unfortunately it was for a friend with a family emergency), all the way until the last day of school. However, I might also mention that I am a pretty permanent sub in a certain school so that keeps me very busy! Furthermore, it seems that the district I am in is always short on subs.

7. mrsbhistory

mrsbhistory Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I subbed for three years and I would get called pretty early in the school year. I would recommend getting to know the secretaries at the schools that you get called to. They always seem to know of any jobs that may be coming up, or long term jobs that may come up down the road.

I also made bright pink business cards with my name and info on them. I think that people remembered the bright pink and could just stick it somewhere. Much better than just leaving your sub number on the note at the end of the day.

8. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 19, 2011

School started here on Aug 8 and I subbed yesterday. I also have days lined up next week and the week after. This will be my first year of being available M-F since I just graduated with my teaching degree. I hope to work at least 4 days a week.

good luck to you

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

I subbed way back when I first graduated at a year round school and I got called in to sub the second week of school.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

Galois, I'm guessing you no longer care??? :)

Congrats again!

11. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 19, 2011

Actually Alice my cell phone rang last night asking my services for Aug 26th and 29th from a teacher who really liked me and who had been giving me jobs last school year. But, what can I do? My training starts on Monday and school on the 29th. I wanted to meet this teacher personally to thank her and to tell her that I finally found a permanent job. Thanks again.

I still have to make a new post since I need help on my new job. But, I'm hesitant to post and say that I'm a department head - a teacher with no experience? - I must be crazy.

12. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

I am entering my 15th year of subbing. The specifics are different every year, but there are some general truths..
    The earliest I ever worked was day three.

Today was day one with no work, but I almost got a job for tomorrow and just got locked out.

I usually struggle the first 10-15 days, working only an average of five out of fifteen.

Last year was really bad. I only worked three of the first 20.

After the first three weeks, I will then work about 90% of the time, and slow down again the last five days of the year.