First Day Tips

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by rainyday, Jan 2, 2007.

1. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

I am interested in your best tip for the first day of school.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2007

Make your kids feel welcome- create a climate of connectedness, caring, contribution and capability (love all the C's??) starting right away!!

4. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Jan 3, 2007

Hi Rainyday,

I've got Harry Wong's book - The first days of school.

It is brilliant - really goes into detail on setting up for success.

Good luck, when do you go back? 23rd Jan for me, 29th for the kids.

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2007

Oz - I loved that book!! VERY helpful!!

6. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jan 3, 2007

Hello All,
    I would like to chime in with a question as well.
    Along the lines of first day tips...how do you spread out the teaching of rules and procedures? I am taking over for a 4th grade class(as I've mentioned in other threads) I don't want to overwhelm them with too many explanations at one. I thought I would begin the day by teaching my attention getting procedure(give me five) and the rules. They also need to know the bathroom procedure, leaving the seat, etc. What procedures do you teach when and in what order? How many days do you spread these teachings across?
    Thanks!
    Dawn
    4th/CO

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2007

I teach kindergarten and there are a TON of rules and procedures that we need to go over, espciallay since most have no school experience. What I do is I teach my 5 rules first and foremost and I tell them consequences for not following the rules. Then I read them a book about this naughty monkey, which correlates to the rules and then we practice good behavior. That's all I do for the morning. Then, before going to lunch, we practice how to walk in a line and I tell them about bubble in mouth and duck tails. Then, when we get ready to go home, we talk about the routine of handing out folders and how to put papers in the folders and how we put the folder in the backpack and how we sit down by the door until mommy/daddy comes to get them. So, the way I teach them is spread out throughout the day. I teach most important things first and then teach things like procdures as they come up. I also model every single procedure and then have students come up to show me and the class. Of course, I teach kindergarten, so since you teach 4th grade, it'll be a LOT easier, let me tell you!

8. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jan 3, 2007

Peachyness,
    Thank you for the great advice! It sounds like my plan is pretty much on track then. I am trying to teach the most critical components first and then can address everything else as it arises. I sure hope it will be easier with my fourth graders. :) On the other hand, I know there are a couple kids in my class that are probably more immature than your kindergarteners. :)
    Oh well. We'll get through it!
    Have a great day!

9. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 4, 2007

G'day.

First thing I do with EVERY new grade I get is sit them down, say g'day (yes, I say g'day), mark the roll and stuff to get that first day moving normally...

...and then I show them how I can pull my finger off.

Generally wins them over right there. I reckon kids need to know they can laugh with you.

As for that other question asked above...how do you set out the rules at the start of the year...I have two self made little posters on my wall. One for Classroom Rules, one for Game Rules.

The Game Rules are only two. No Blood...No Tears. The kids work out quick that if someone ends up hurt or crying, then obviously they weren't playing well.

My Classroom Rules...there's only one rule. 'Don't Mess With Mr V!'

They love that rule, and by the time I get them in grades three and four, they know the school rules already.

Cheers.

10. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 4, 2007

I believe that you will enjoy the fourth grade age group. I teach fifth grade and each year I just start by explaining the basic classroom rules ( they have had a version of these rules each year)-but, be sure to have them tell you why we need to follow rules. Then, I explain the basic classroom procedures such as when to be on the floor, assigned seats, where to put homework/completed work. It doesn't have to be lengthy, because you will repeat it many times throughout the year.

Now, my best tip for the first day of school - I have a game that I play with the students and they love it. I ask basic questions such as favorite food, music group- anything really- and then I take up the answers. Bring up three students and have the rest of the class guess who wrote the answers (kinda of like the old game show). Have the correct respondent step forward. Keep doing this until all the students have come forward. They don't always know each other as well as they think they do - and you get to know them also!

Best tips for the first day of school:

* Have plans-enough plans to last for a week! It is okay to start doing some work on the first day!

*Have folders - start being organized on the first day and label and file everything. Stay for five minutes after school each day and put things away - Trust me - It will pay off!

*Have fun - don't forget they are children and sometimes a smile is more important than any other lesson they will get that day!

*Have patience - when they get unruly (they will) Don't get angry - Take a deep breath and start writing names on the board - Works every time!