First Day Teacher Intro

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Srta Frida, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Srta Frida

Srta Frida Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

What sorts of things do you normally let students know about you on the first day of school? What's the best way to introduce yourself to students?

3. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 27, 2010

I try not to go too in depth. While I like to tell the kids about me, I also don't want them to get bored of me (at least not yet anways). I let them know about my schooling, where I grew up, a very general area of where I currently live (I name the county as I live a county over from where I teach), I talk about the kinds of music I like, and a couple of things I like to do in my spare time. I let the students get to know me better throughout the year.

I'm actually not sure if I'm TOO general/brief or if I'm too lengthy though. I don't even know if they care or not...:confused:

Anyway, I go through this all during my introduction...probably the first thing I get out of the way so they can settle in, and then I talk about rules/procedures, syllabus, etc.

4. Srta Frida

Srta Frida Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Great thanks. If I was a high school student I would be interested in the kind of music my teacher listens to. Thanks for the ideas. So far I was thinking of just telling them my name, where I taught last year, and where I'm from.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

I skipped that type of intro last year. First two semesters teaching I did the whole "went to school at... have two kids...degrees in..." and realized the kids do not care on the first day. They simply do not care. They have either listened to teachers go on and on about rules and procedures all day or they are too pumped up at being around their friends after summer. Maybe if I was close to their age and they wanted to see if I was the cool teacher/wants to be a buddy type.

I have too much to tell them on the first day and I try to avoid adding more words to the mix. I start feeling like the teacher on Charlie Brown. Wannh wannh wannh wannh.

So last year I didn't do it at all. I didn't try the getting to know you exercises with the kids. I never remember that stuff either. I let things come out slowly and it stuck better. Someone would ask who was in a picture on my desk. My daughter. I would find out through side conversation that a student wanted to be a chef.

I did not care one bit where my HS teachers went to school. What their favorite food was, etc. They're stuck with me and I was stuck with them. Even if I hated their choice in music, lol. I have a teenager who has echoed my thoughts. She says she just sits there in class on the first day and thinks "why do I care?" That's the opposite impression I want to give so I avoid it for a few reasons.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

I gave them note cards and allowed them to ask me one anonymous, personal question each... but I reserved the right to not answer questions that were too personal.

Most popular questions were: How old are you, what's your husband's name, what are your kid's names, do you have pets, did you REALLY go to UF, do you like potatoes, and can you get (little girl in another period) to go out with me?

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

And the end of the first day this year, students knew my full name and that only half of the horrible things they've heard about me are true. ;)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

I tell my kids very little on that first day. My emphasis is not on me; it's on the material we'll be covering.

As the year unwinds, of course I share more.

But that first day, it's all about setting the tone.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

I'm with those who share very little on the first day, too. The kids are much more interested in each other than me! :) It's also an unnatural way to get to know someone. I don't "interview" people when I meet them. So I set the kids to doing tasks together, and ultimately, they get to know each other and me through the process.

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

well said.

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

It depends a TON on what level you're teaching. If you're teaching the first grade at your school I can guarantee the kids are begging to get to know someone with a friendly face.

12. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

When I taught younger grades I had an "All About Me" board where we brought items in that meant a lot to us, hung them up, and introduced ourselves. I'm teaching middle school now and I find that they are much harder to settle down the first day. I like to review some procedures and begin getting material covered the 1st day. I do spend some time telling them how excited I am to teach them, how we'll have a great year, etc.

They ask lots of questions during the year and we get to know each other as time goes on! One thing that I start about a month into the school year are "Compliments". One Friday a month we pull names out of a hat and write a compliment to that person. I find little activities like that really help for class environment.

13. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 1, 2010

I run a power point slide show for my introductory class. One series is my bio....

Bachelors Civil Engineering
    Masters Environmental Engineering
    Masters Learning & Teaching
    15 Years as Environmental Engineer
    3 Years as a Teacher

I then throw out that when asked "where is this really used", I tell you where I've used it and often pull out my engineering text books. (I teach Alg I and Alg II.)

I have severe diabetes and am subject to siezures so we discuss that.

I also have hearing loss and discuss that.

Finally, I throw up a slide that says "I'm also a dad and show a cute shot of my boy who's 9." It's nice break from the more serious discussion.

From there, it's right back to business. Why is the class important, how to pass the class, what happens if you fail, etc, etc.

It's about a 30 minute run and then we jump into a multiple intelligences evaluation.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

I share my name with students and that's about it. We move straight into class expectations, rules, procedures, and introductory stuff about my subject. Occasionally students will ask about my accent and ask where I'm from, so I'll tell them. Beyond that, I've found that students don't really care too much about who their teachers are, at least not so early on in the year. I'll answer some questions as the year progresses and as students become more interested in getting to know me.

15. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Sep 3, 2010

I do this every year!