First Day Summary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Unbeknownst, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

I finally got to practice all the things I've been thinking about the past year or so.

It was so fun to see it work.

1-7 periods ran like clockwork. 1) Come in and start working on the posted assignment, 2) Talk because that's how we normally behave, 3) Get snuffed by the teacher every time we talk, 4) Don't talk anymore until the teacher says to, 5) Participate in the activities plan with efficiency and care.

I pretty much established the kind of teacher I'm going to be. Now I just need to follow up the rest of the week, and by next week I hope everything to be automated.

My 8th period class is that "class from hell" that everyone talks about, but I absolutely loved them. Their background is much more like mind than the general population: low SES, divorced family, no money, barely getting by.

Call me a glutton for punishment, but I really identify with these kids.

I admittingly never did snuff out all the talking (there are too many "head honchos" in this class to snuff out at once), but I did get them to stay in their seats, start shushing people when I stood there quietly (I never talked over anyone today -- I refuse to), and had them participate gladly in their work.

Three of the kids in that class were already sent to the principal in multiple classes that day (THE FIRST DAY!), but they minded me well enough.

All in all, it was a fantastic first day.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 23, 2010

So glad to hear you had a good day. Historically speaking, my last class of the day is always my toughest. Here's hoping the rest of the week stays the same in 1-7 and that 8 gets a bit better.

4. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 23, 2010

Isn't it great when all your hard work, planning and dreaming come to fruition? Sounds like you had a great day-hold on to those memories when things get you down to remember why you chose this career. I always have a soft spot for the "tough" kids, too!

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 23, 2010

I "hear" your smile in your post!

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2010

I'm so happy to hear you had a great first day! :thumb:

Last year, I had a student whom all the 4th grade teachers had warned me about and I had two bad experiences with him the year prior to having him. He had major anxiety issues, which really broke my heart, but then he was also had anger issues and he had no problem of taking it out on the teacher.

I tried all year long to make a good connection with him and I would say 90% of the time we got along (we all have our bad days). I actually brought in one of my science notebooks to show him that I really did understand his need to be perfect when it came to writing in his notebook (he was so happy to see that) but I stressed too that he would need to learn how to cope with wanting to balance perfection with completing a task on time.

I also did my best to not bring to mind any of the negative comments/experiences because every child deserves a fresh start at the beginning of the school year (I try to hold true to this and also continue doing it after long vacations--- holiday vacation and Spring Break). So I'm so happy to see that while you have the "hell class", you're not being negative about it :thumb:

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2010

Here's hoping that the next 30 years go as well as today! :)

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 23, 2010

Yay!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

I'm glad to hear it went well.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

Yay!! Sounds like you had a great first day!! Now only 179 to go! :lol: