First Day Stories??

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by ms.rene, Jul 29, 2007.

1. ms.rene

ms.rene Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I have been teaching 1st grade for the past three years but am moving to 3rd grade this coming school year. I usually start the first day with a story about school. Is this too "babyish" for 3rd graders? If anybody has a cute book that they have used on the 1st day of school please share. Thanks!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 29, 2007

I don't think it's too babyish for 3rd graders. I'm reading First Day Jitters by Julie Danneburg, and Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10 by Judy Finchler. I also tend to read a short book about what special class we go to each day (the first time we go to those classes). The kids love it.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

I was thinking about reading those same books. But I'm worried that they might have already heard them last year on the first day of school. I want them to hear something new-that at least the majority of the students haven't heard.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2007

You know, it's okay if a child hears a story twice. Usually if I find that some have already read it, I make a statement about re-reading our favorite books. But I know what your saying. Could you check around with some of the 2nd grade teachers to see what they've read in the past? That way you get a feel of what some have read.

6. ms.rene

ms.rene Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the feedback!

7. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I teach high school and I use books like that one the first day. We laugh and talk about past first days....by high school they are veterans!

8. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 31, 2007

This is not my story...but I sooo wish it was....

When our kindergarteners went to the bathroom during the first day...one curious boy wandered out of line and crept up to the second floor.
    He then sneaked into the 4th grade classroom and took a seat. The kids were laughing and the teacher hadn't noticed.
    Meanwhile the kindergarten teacher (1st year might I add) is in hysterics because her little boy is missing!
    Upstairs the 4th graders were laughing and the teacher was becoming aggrivated....She had no idea what was going on. Finally, one of the kids pointed out the "small 4th grader" and all was settled.This went on for 2 hours!!!!

9. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Oops....looks like I misunderstood what "first day stories" meant. Sorry, Ms. Rene!

10. ms.rene

ms.rene Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

LOL.... Thanks for sharing anyway!

11. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I got a kick out of reading it. Thanks for misunderstanding. I needed a good laugh! :)

12. *STARPOLISHER*

*STARPOLISHER* New Member

Aug 1, 2007

That was a great story anyway

13. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I was thinking of reading Miss Nelson is Missing. I thought it might work as a good "warning" of what might happen if they don't behave well. Or, should I wait until I REALLY need it?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  14. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

first day

There's also a book called Mr. Ouchy's First Day about a teacher being nervous. I am going to have the kids compare and contrast the teachers in First Day Jitters and Mr. Ouchy!

15. teach12

teach12 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I was wondering if you could give me ideas about the books you read for the special classes. Thanks!!!

16. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Somebody on another thread a few weeks ago suggested First Day Jitters, How I Spent My Summer Vacation, and Chrysanthemum. I got all three books from the library and they are all fabulous for the first day of school.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2007

I forgot all about "How I Spent My Summer Vacation". I love reading that to the kids.

18. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Wow! I must be having a mental block! I didn't even think of reading a book on the first day, but I definately will. Thanks!

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2007

It's not babyish for fourth grade, either! I read the kids my own story that I wrote before my first year called The Frightening, Dark, and Shaky First Day of Fourth Grade. They love it. I am sorry I don't have a link to share it on here... it's not on this computer at all, actually.

20. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I found a book called Manana, Iguana - it reminds me of the story with the hen that is baking and none of her friends want to help, but they all want to eat it. I was thinking to read that story 1) to talk about teamwork and everyone doing their part. 2) It uses some words in spanish & I have a limited english student from El Salvador - I'm hoping that maybe it'll catch his interest and make him feel a little more comfortable. Does that sounds like a good idea? I am also thinking about First Day Jitters since I'm new to the school (the only new teacher in the school this year)!

21. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I read a book called "JUST LIKE ME" on the first day of school...its about animals who are going to a party and they want to be like another animal there are little cut outs in the book so the animals head is shown on the other animals body...at the end they alld ecide to go to the party as themselves because tehy are perfect the way they are...after we read this they decorate a cut out of themselves without their face on it for our data wall...i take their picture and we cut out their face to put on the body...it looked really bute last year and i got tons of compliments on the data wall looking much like my kids!!!

22. kel3rdgrade

kel3rdgrade New Member

Aug 6, 2007

I read the book "The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. We talk about where they want to go in third grade. I reread the book on the last day of school and talk about where they want to go in the future! The kids love it!