First Day schedule

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bolivar09, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Please let me know what you think? Any suggestions?

Dayana
    Lincoln Marti Charter School
    Kindergarten Lesson plan
    8:00-8:15 Arrive, check-in, get name tags,
    8:15-8:30 Student and Teacher introductions
    • Get in circle
    • Review names
    • Share favorite color
    • Review class rules and consequences
    • Review procedures
    8:30 – 9:00 Morning Routine: Months of the year, Alphabet, Numbers, Shapes, Colors,
    •Calendar time (what's today's date, day, month, etc)
    •Weather frog
    9:00-9:30 Journal time
    Summer was fun because_________
    9:30-10:15 Miss Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten/ Discuss and Draw a picture of how they got ready for school. Share
    10:15-10:25 Bathroom and Water procedures
    •Practice knocking, saying "someone's in here," not locking door, flushing once, washing hands
    •Water fountain--counting "1, 2, 3 Goodbye" to "time" drinks for classmates
    10:25-10:45 Self Portrait Activity/Share with the class
    10:45 Recess
    10:55- 11:00 Discuss lunch manners, going through lunch line, any other lunch time procedures
    11:00- 11:30 Lunch
    Explain cafeteria rules
    11:30 -12:30 Math
    Read and discuss 10 Little Lady Bugs
    Practice writing the numbers 1-5
    12:30 – 1:00
    1:30-2:00 Physical Education
    •Discuss how to play safely on the equipment, when to line up, where to line up, etc.
    •Play outside
    •Get drinks
    2:00- 2:30 Art Hand Prints
    The teacher will assist the student in tracing their hands on construction paper .

3. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

FIRST DAY SCHEDULE.....HELP HELP

Dayana Bolivar
    Lincoln Marti Charter School
    Kindergarten Lesson plan
    8:00-8:15 Arrive, check-in, get name tags,
    8:15-8:30 Student and Teacher introductions
    • Get in circle
    • Review names
    • Share favorite color
    • Review class rules and consequences
    • Review procedures
    8:30 – 9:00 Morning Routine: Months of the year, Alphabet, Numbers, Shapes, Colors,
    •Calendar time (what's today's date, day, month, etc)
    •Weather frog
    9:00-9:30 Journal time
    Summer was fun because_________
    9:30-10:15 Read Miss Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten
    Discuss how we got ready for kindergarten
    Draw a picture of how they got ready for kindergarten to make a large big book.
    10:15-10:25 Bathroom and Water procedures
    •Practice knocking, saying "someone's in here," not locking door, flushing once, washing hands
    •Water fountain--counting "1, 2, 3 Goodbye" to "time" drinks for classmates
    10:25-10:45 Self Portrait Activity
    The students will draw a picture of themselves and share with class.
    10:45 Recess
    10:55- 11:00 Discuss lunch manners, going through lunch line, any other lunch time procedures
    11:00- 11:30 Lunch
    Explain cafeteria rules
    11:30 -12:30 Math
    Read and discuss 10 Little Lady Bugs
    12:30 – 1:00 Treasures From My First Day Of Kindergarten Activity
    1:30-2:00 Physical Education
    •Discuss how to play safely on the equipment, when to line up, where to line up, etc.
    •Play outside
    •Get drinks
    2:00- 2:30 Art Hand Prints
    The teacher will assist the student in tracing their hands on construction paper.

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Let me preface this by saying that I don't teach Kindergarten, so my suggestions my not all be accurate. I think you have some good ideas for activities, BUT it does seem like you're underestimating the amount of time it's going to take to teach procedures. Also, keep in mind that kindergartners (and 1st graders, which I teach) have VERY short attention spans at the start of the year. So you may find that having math for an hour, for example, may be too long (for me, math is usually 30 minutes at the very start of the year). I'd suggest keeping things to 30 minutes or less for the first few days, at least.

I suggest viewing the first few days as teaching procedures, with a few activities intermixed. For example, I assure you, you will need MUCH more than 5 minutes to teach lunch procedures. Remember, these kids have probably never been in a cafeteria before! I would recommend (if possible) taking your kids to the lunch room earlier in the day and practicing procedures, so when lunch actually comes, they'll be a bit more prepared.

Also, in your schedule, you have 15 minutes where you have introductions, teaching procedures, and teaching rules and consequences. This seems like WAY too much information for a student in K and also much too short of a time for it.

Let me give you an example of my first day schedule from last year (keep in mind it's for first, so my students would theoretically know more about school and procedures than yours):

8:15-8:35 - Arrival and Morning Work
    • Name tag decorating
    8:40-8:50 – Cubby Procedure
    8:50-9:30 – Morning Meeting
    • Greeting – “Good morning. My name is __________.”
    • Activity – Sing “Pop”
    • Morning Message – write names on the chart
    • Play freeze game.
    9:30-9:45 Bathroom Procedure
    9:45– 9:55 - Line Up Practice
    10:00-10:43 – Library
    10:45-11:10 Snack
    • Sit on rug – discuss purpose and rules of snack
    11:15-12:00 First Day Jitters writing activity
    *Outside time if time permits
    12:00-12:35 Teach Cafeteria Roles (visit cafeteria and practice)
    12:40-1:00 Teach Quiet Time
    1:00-1:50 Lunch/Recess
    1:50-2:30 French
    2:30-2:40 Quiet Time
    2:40-3:00 Pencil Use and Exchange Procedure
    3:00-3:15 Pocket Chart Names Activity
    3:15-3:30 Read Aloud

You'll notice, that I allot time (at least 10 minutes, usually more) for teaching specific procedures. It's important to explain expectations and then give students a chance to practice those procedures. Keep in mind that your kids may have never walked in a line before - if you plan to go anywhere other than your classroom on the first day, I would strongly suggest allotting time to teach this (and expect it to be difficult at first)
    I also notice you have some journal writing activities. Keep in mind that depending on your area, your K students may not be coming in writing. I have known K teachers that have to teach students how to hold a pencil and how to write their name... You want to make sure that your first day activities make everyone feel successful. You might try by having students "write" about something by using only pictures (and you can model how you might use labels or writing below the picture). You might have loads of frustrated, crying kids if you assign something that's way above them on the first day. My advice is keep things simple until you have a good understanding of where their abilities lie.

One final comment - do your kids in your school take a nap? It just seems like a busy schedule without any sort of rest or quiet time. If you don't take naps at your school, I'd suggest scheduling a "quiet time" where kids can look at books or rest quietly at their seats. My students really value that time and they NEED it!

Good luck!

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

I agree with Ms.X about a quiet time and about their lack of attention spans. I would add in a whole group bathroom break or two. They are going to have a hard time sitting still anyway so all going to the bathroom will help them to get rid of their wiggles. A school tour could also be a way to break up a long time of sitting during the day. I think you will need more time for rules, but too much time may have been devoted to journal time. I would prepare something for the kids that gone done faster because I know it wouldn't take my K's a half hour to do that. If you want an hour of math, maybe split in in half and spend part of each time introducing math manipulatives?

Looks good though, I like that you have it mapped out! I did the same thing down to what I would say for each activity!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 23, 2009

I agree with the others...For example, we learn to write one number at a time. Writing the numbers 1-5 on the first day seems like a lot, especially since 2-5 are pretty challenging. Could you do a simple activity with learning to just recognize the numbers?

Do your kids get play time? Snacks? It seems like you need more things to break up your day and get them moving.

7. SaWela

SaWela New Member

Aug 26, 2009

August 1 was my first day. Enjoyed it alot , Senior year is a blast in my school. I got the classes I want and not much nail biting classes to stress over.

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 26, 2009

I agree with the other posters. The math lesson assumes the kids know how to hold a pencil and the rules you have for using pencils. Try doing some guided discovery with pencils and crayons on the first day during math instead of actual practice or academic learning. Here is my schedule from my first day of K last year:

August 27, 2008
    8:30 Meet in Worship Center
    8:45-8:55 Walk to classroom with students and parents. Upon arrival, ask parents to put supplies in bins and help students put up lunch boxes.

9:00-9:30 Welcome and Prayer
    Welcome students and parents into classroom. Have students sit on carpet with parents at tables or surrounding carpet area. Greet students and introduce yourself, Diane Bond, and Shellie Schneider. Say a short prayer, thanking God from bringing everyone together safely and asking Him for a good year.
    Tell students that they will become good friends with everyone here. Explain that in order to become friends we have to know each other's names. Tell students they need to tell us their name and their favorite color. Start by reintroducing yourself and telling favorite color. Go around the circle until each child has introduced him or herself.
    Introduce "Kindergarten clap" to get students' attention.
    Read: The Night Before Kindergarten

9:30-9:40 Ask students to find their name at their table (parents help). Have nametags ready for the first day and ask parents to assist their child in putting nametag on shirt. Invite students and parents to tour room for about 5 minutes, then parents will join teachers in hallway to do a carpool run-through. Explain that parents must leave; have students say goodbye.

9:40-9:50 Parents go through carpool rountine with Miss Webb and Mrs. Terry. Diane and Shellie will do a mini Bible lesson. If Miss Webb isn't back when they are finished, they may skip to snack time

9:50-10:10 Craft/Art Project for first day: Read The Kissing Hand.
    My First Day Of Kindergarten
    It's my first day of Kindergarten
    and I'm thinking of you.
    I made these precious handprints
    So you will think of me, too.

It's my first day of school
    and The Kissing Hand is what we read.
    It's about a raccoon
    who did just as his parents said.

Like the raccoon's first day at school
    I was scared and a little shy.
    But because of what you said
    I was brave and I got by.

All through the year
    I'll make things for you.
    So as I change and as I learn
    you can witness my growth, too!
    Each student will get a piece of cardstock with the poem already printed on it. A teacher will paint their hand and press it onto the page. Before painting, model how to go from table to sink w/o touching clothes or other children. Assist in writing names on papers. After students have "painted" their page, they will need to wash their hands. [2 teachers paint, one supervise hand washing.] As students finish and return to their seats, they can play with the lacing cards at the tables.

10:10-10:20 After all students have returned to their seats, crayons and paper will be put away. Snacks will be handed out and a prayer said. If snack has already been given, the class will move on to the following:

10:20-10:35 Gather on carpet again and explain class verse (Eph. 4:32) and class rules (Kind hands, kind words, kind feet). Use car example: rules outside and rules in classroom to be safe. Go over the rest of the day's schedule.

10:35-10:50 Explain bathroom procedures (knock, listen, enter/wait); Role-play; Explain connected bathrooms. Washing hands procedures.

10:50-11:00 Bathroom break. Students may use the bathroom using the procedures just explained. Students who do not need to use the bathroom or are waiting for other students can play "Freeze" dance.

11:00-11:10 Practice lining up at door. Ask students how they should walk in the hall. Explain that they must be silent. Show students "hips and lips" to remember. Practice walking in hallway. Show pick up spot on church side?

11:10-11:30 Playground tour; go over safety rules; brief recess

11:30-11:40 Lunch rules, procedures.
    11:40-12:05 Lunch

12:10-12:25 Guided discovery with crayons.
    Intro: Wrapped crayons. "What do you think is in here?" Give clue. How many crayons, a lot or a little? Ask for guesses as to how many. How will we find out how many are here?
    Generating Ideas: Unwrap crayons. Where does it tell me how many are in here? Are all the crayons the same color? No. What kinds of colors do you think are in here? Children make guesses.
    Where are they stored?
    How will we take care of them?
    What will happen if I press too hard while coloring?
    What types of things should I color on? Paper, not desks, walls.
    Children explore: Hand out crayons to all children (bins?). Have blank paper available to explore colors.
    Sharing: What do you notice? What types of colors are there? How to share.
    Extensions: Color 1st day certificate. [Take 1st day pictures.]

12:25-12:35 Shared Reading, Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten

12:35-12:55 Predictable chart -- "On the first day of school, I felt..."

12:55-1:05 Pack up
    1:05-1:20 Afternoon Meeting: Review day, each child tells one thing he/she did that day.
    1:20 Dismissal

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

I pretty much agree....I would spend a lot more time on procedures!! The first day of school I think we set a block of 45 minutes to do some procedures....we practice sitting on the carpet, sitting at tables, pushing in chairs, lining up at the door, walking in the hallway in a line, we talk about a fire drill, we practice lines for the bathroom and how to get a drink, what to do when you come in in the morning, etc.
    I always have play-dough for them to play with when they first come in (for the first week or so) so I can deal with any parents at the door or criers. It came in really helpful one year when I had a little girl puke all over within 5 minutes of her mom leaving...let's hope there are no repeat performances of that this year!!