First Day(s) of School?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pwhatley, Jul 14, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2011

I student taught 3rd, but that was 4 years ago... I've been in first since then. I'm considering teaching 3rd this coming year, and that's really not intimidating or anything, but I would like some advice on the first few days of school.

What do you have the kiddos do when they come in on the first day? I will be busy dealing with supplies (if they are brought in at all) and parents and paperwork, so I need something already at their desks. I plan to already have crayons, sharpened pencils, and erasers out.. just unsure from there.

With first grade, we usually spend about the first four weeks on routines & procedures... how long for 3rd?? I'm thinking 2 weeks, but again, am unsure... Any advice would be great!

3. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2011

I usually spend the first three days focused on teaching rules and practicing procedures. I also try to do assessments to determine each child's math skills and reading skills. I like to see if the kids can regroup and know basic math facts. I may also do running records. I start teaching as soon as possible, but I still spend time reviewing rules and procedures especially the first four weeks. After the first week, I find that I can start to spend more time teaching all the subject areas. I also teach procedures as needed. For instance, if the kids are starting to get out of their seats to ask me questions then the next day I might spend some time reviewing how we ask questions and have the kids practice. I don't do a lot of back to school/get to know you activities. I try to start teaching the first day and mix in some fun as much as I can. I have A LOT to cover before TCAP.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

5. Kaylee hutton

Kaylee hutton Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for sharing the link..

6. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Aug 14, 2011

Thanks for the link I am making a jump from special education to third grade, when I worked in third grade I started around February and needed some ideas.

7. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 15, 2011

I use address labels. I started this the last couple of years. I print a set of subject labels for each student and then mulitple labels of their name. I tear their column from the sheet and they hel label their folders, art boxes, etc. It doesn't take as much time now, but it has to be done.