First day(s) activities when everyone knows each other already

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2013

Kids come in tomorrow! For Wed, Thurs, Fri we are supposed to do "get to know you" activities with our homeroom class. We have them from 7:30-12:00 for those three days, my homeroom is 6th grade. The thing is, I already know them, they already know me, and they already know each other. They know each other really well, most have been in the same class with the same kids since kindergarten. I haven't got a class list yet, but we *might* have one or two new kids, but I sort of doubt it. So what to do when everyone already knows each other? Any general activities or general education stuff?

We are also supposed to talk about the school values. Last year I split them into groups and had them perform skits of students showing the value, and not showing the value. (values are ethics, honor, modesty, solidarity, love, friendship, etc. There are 20 total values) They really enjoyed doing the skits, but we did them last year so I don't want to repeat. Any ideas on how to "teach" those again?

:thumb::thanks:

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 5, 2013

How about letting them get to know themselves? Like a self-exploration, and then they could share. Maybe having them make a mandala of their interests, their future dreams, etc.

And for the values, maybe have them make like motivational posters, like the ones you see in classes and offices?

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Feb 5, 2013

My kids used to love to play this game called Apples, or something like that. You draw a big apple on the board and then someone is picked to go stand outside the classroom door. The teacher picks another student to go up to the apple and write some kind of funny activity to do. For example, they might write, "Sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" while hopping on one foot". That person sits back down. The person standing outside the door comes in and has to figure out who wrote the activity in the apple based on the handwriting. We usually gave them three guesses. If they guess right, the person doing the writing has to actually do the activity. If they guessed wrong, the guesser has to do the activity.

Seems silly enough, but the kids absolutely loved it!

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Feb 5, 2013

I like "two truths and a lie" - say three things "about you," only 2 of which are true - group has to guess which is true. Sort of a fun way for kids to learn more about each other when they already know each other a bit.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2013

Thanks! Those are good ones :)