First Day... relieved!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Aug 22, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 22, 2011

I'm so relieved... I didn't have any major issues, no outbursts, and not even one crier this morning!

I did have one issue with a new student, who is new to the area not just the school. I think he is in "needy attention" mode because he is new, but he is getting on my very last nerve. He can't go 10 minutes without doing something to get attention. We were in the middle of reading First Day Jitters and I figured he would be interested in that, but nope! He has his arms inside his shirt, rocking back and forth in his chair, and making noises to get the kids around him to look at him.

I have to "crack the whip" so to speak tomorrow on him and some others. I let some stuff slide today that I shouldn't have, and I know that. I know it and admit it. Today wasn't much of a discipline day for me because I was so focused on just keeping their attention and getting some work done.

Hopefully I have as good of a group as most people seem to believe that I do (previous teachers).

The good thing is... I survived!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

Yay!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

Good luck tomorrow! And definitely start to work on the behaviors; it's much easier to stop them early.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 23, 2011

Howdy! Hope your second day went even better than the first. Yesterday, I was so exhusted and frustrated that I came home and went straight to bed for several hours. Today was better. I guess the kids are starting to know more of what i expect and act accordingly.

Of course we DID have an earth quake today during dismissal which was a lot of "fun" and required that we evacuate the building. *sigh* Never a dull moment!!

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I would probably panic in an earthquake! We don't have those down here..

Today went much better. They were more talkative today than yesterday, so unfortunately for them, I had to take away their reward for the week (no centers all week). I couldn't threaten them anymore and was tired of having to talk over them.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2011

Well, we didn't have them on the east coast until today either.:lol:

Be very very careful about making large threats, like no centers all week.

For one thing, you're punishing the kids who were being good. That's simply not fair, and it's not sound educational policy.

But moreso, you now HAVE to keep your word. So the educational value you had planned for those centers is lost. Instead of spending this week learnng how to use each center, that lesson gets pushed into next week, and your planning is shot.

Don't threaten. Lower your voice and make them strain to hear. Or modify your lesson. Or promise-- just once-- and follow through.

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Well I had none today that were doing what they were supposed to unfortunately, but of course they all calmed down after they had lost the reward. I have class full of talkers this year I guess.

I hadn't actually planned time for centers this week, they were going to be more of a reward since we don't have our reading intervention groups created yet. They were tied to academics, but nothing was planned. Our grade doesn't start centers until the 2nd week of school because we won't get a good grasp on reading levels until then.

I understand what you are saying though Alice, and it's great advice that I will keep in mind for later on when I start to make a large threat like this again.