First Day Question

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by mochateacher, Jun 22, 2008.

1. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I have been thinking a lot about what to do my first day of school. I have heard that I need to be firm and upfront with my expectations...by the way I will be teaching 6th grade L.A. So, I will put a seating chart on an overhead projector, I will be at the door greeting the students, and give them a paper to fill out (a contact/interests sheet). I will tell them to look on the overhead, find their seat, and start working on the worksheet until the bell rings. Once the bell rings I will introduce myself, take roll (even though they should be in the assigned seat I want start working on placing a name to a face), and give them a few mins. to finish up their worksheet.

I will then divide my class period going over welcoming them to class, go over rules, expectations, and class procedures. This is my first year teaching and I really want to have a great class and year. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

This will definitely help you in having a smooth school year. Just remember to be consistent :)

3. NewNCTeach

NewNCTeach Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

Great Ideas!!!

For 2nd and 3rd grade, I have two sharp pencils and a bin of crayons ready for each student. I tell them to put their book bag against the wall and to go take their seat and get started. I have an "All About Me" book waiting for them to work on. I tell them (over and over) that we will go through supplies in a few minutes, and that no! they don't need anything from their bookbag right now... we'll get to those in a few minutes.

I unplug the pencil sharpener so they don't get it in their heads that their pencil needs to be sharpened! I have a container of extra sharpened pencils for trade right next to it.

I remind them that I want to see their best work (not scribble-scrabble, as I call it)! I let them know we will be sharing some of the information later, so they want the others to see their best work!

This gives me the time to deal with all those parent drop off questions and last minute students who the office will inevitably be sending to me.

While they work on their booklets, I call students over one at a time using my role sheet. I ask them how they are getting home that day (bus, afterschool program, walking, being picked up). I look up their bus number, if they don't know it and write it on the back of their hand with a marker (I also make a list for myself of how students are getting home, because I will forget with everything going on!) I have them bring their book bag over to me, and we go through their supplies. I collect classroom supplies (pencils and tissues and such) and tell them how to store their other supplies in their desk. If they have a lunch, I show them where to put it. If they are buying their lunch, I give them a card with their lunch number on it. If they've brought things I don't need (I had a parent send a battery-powerred pencil sharpener one year!), I send them back home in the bookbag! If they are missing supplies or haven't brought any, I assure them it is okay, and put a supply list in their bookbag. I assure them I will loan them anything they need until Mom can get the supplies. (Our students don't get advanced supply lists, so it is potluck on the first day.) I have them go and hang up their bookbag, and then call the next student. When all the bookbags are off the wall, I know I have called all the students. I still ask "Is there anyone who hasn't been up to talk to me?" just in case a student came in without a bookbag at all. (I make a note to talk to the counselor about getting them a bookbag through the free program.)

Then once they have all checked in their supplies, the craziness of drop-offs and new students is over, and I'm ready to start with my morning meeting and rules.[/QUOTE]

I love your first day routine. It seems very efficient and orderly. I plan to emulate many aspects of it. Thanks!