First day plans

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lillebe, Aug 10, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I need to start planning for my first day, I just found out I will be teaching 2nd grade. Just wondering if anyone could share their first few days schedule and plans. Thanks so much!

3. Ms. Ladybug

Ms. Ladybug Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I will cover expectations and procedures. That is most important the first couple of days. We don't really start with Reading until the 2nd week; however, we do start Math. (We usually start school on a Thursday, but this year will be a Tuesday.) I usually do a good bit of "getting to know you" activities. I will probably start a read aloud the first couple of days.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

I do what Ms. Ladybug does, plus label and put away supplies, show them around the room, go over in detail a.m. routine, a project, I do a reading activity with the book Elmer. I actually have a few read alouds that I do in between other things to break up the monotony of me talking about procedures, etc. I bring a snack for them for the first day (goldfish crackers with a cute poem that is at school), go over my newsletter that I am sending home, have them highlight certain parts...

Good luck!! :)

5. teachohio

teachohio Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

This sounds cute. Could you please share the poem? Thanks!:)

6. MrsREAD

MrsREAD Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Two choices for instant bulletin boards
    1. Popsicle Graph - Have kids write their favorite summertime activity on popsicle shape - color favorite flavor. Graph results - instant bulletin board titled The COOLEST Summertime Activities
    2.Now Showing - Tear yellow paper into popcorn shape- Students color red stripes on rectangle for popcron box. Now showing - Summertime Activities - Students draw and color their best memory of summer - Cut black construction paper to look like filmstrip (large square cutter on sides of paper). Post kids' drawings on the black to look like a movie clip. Instant bulletin board again!

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2007

I do basically what every body else does, especially go over expectations/routines etc. I plan to read a read aloud a day & do an activity with it. For example, First Day Jitters, Miss Nelson Is Missing, The Crayon Box That Talked. I am sooo excited about one activity in particular for the Crayon Box That Talked book!! Here is the link to the activity:
    http://www.kinderart.com/multic/mlkjr_crayons.shtml
    And here is the poem I plan to display next to the bulletin board:
    http://www.mrsmcgowan.com/1stgrade/crayons.htm
    I think this will start our year off right & initiate a great discussion on working together, getting along, treating each other with respect etc.
    I also plan to do a Time Capsule activity in which they will draw a self portrait & write about themselves. I'm even considering taking a picture of them on the first day. Then we will open it on the last day of school!

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

Glad to now that I have my folder here!!

It is a fish shape with the following poem:
    You're a great catch!
    THis will be a "fin-tastic" year!

I run off on orange paper.