First Day Plans?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 4myclass, Jul 3, 2007.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

:love: What are you planning to do on the first day of school? I am coming from Pre-k and I was moved to 5th this year. I have never taught 5th, so I am not quite sure what to do the first day. In Pre-K, I could always let them play or color. I'm thinking that won't work in 5th :p .
    I am the only 5th grade teacher in my school, so I don't really have anyone to ask. Can you please give me some advice? I am starting to get that panicky feeling:eek: .
    I have collected 300+ AR books for our classroom library, looked through the teacher's manuals and picked up some older Mailbox Magazines for Intermediate students looking for ideas. The school is vacant and I don't have phone numbers for other teachers in our district, so I really need your help. Thanks in advance.

3. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jul 3, 2007

When they first enter I will have a fun worksheet to keep them occupied until we all settle down. Yes, it will just be busy work but i want to set expectation for how they should enter right away.

One of the activities I am planning is for them to create a time capsule that I will hold onto until the last day.

A questionair...
    Favorite tv show
    Favorite food
    Dream vacation
    etc...

A SHORT writing promt about what their expectations are fot he 5th grade.

Also an outline of their foot and a string that is as long as they are tall so they can see how much they have grown at the end of the year.

Also class rules and expectations.

I will be at a brand new school so maybe a tour while we practice hallway expectations.

4. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

The last two years I taught fifth grade. I did many of the same things as Mrs.Rhinochunks. I also started calendar math the first day, some of my fellow teachers even managed to get spelling in the first day. As for the writing prompt I had them write a letter to themselves about their feelings/expectations and goals starting fifth grade ( this was put into the timecapsule to open on the last day).

This year I'm starting third grade a new school so I'm wondering what to expect too.

5. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Last year, I read the book The Giving Tree to the class. After discussing it, I had them think about what their gift to the class would be this year. What could they contribute to help this class become a family...to help this be their best year, yet? Afterwards, we worked together to identify class goals for the year. It really seemed to work well. :)

I also put together a power point of class procedures, expectations, school handbook information, all the special perks that go with being a 5th grader (DARE, band, lunch room helpers, Kindergarten bus buddies, Jr. Achievement, Homeworkopoly, etc. Thought that would be much better than listening to me go on and on, and I wouldn't forget anything. :D

Every year, I do a watermelon theme for the first day. We do watermelon math, draw still pictures, take photos and make watermelon frames from Oriental, use the computer to look up information on watermelons, and of course, eat watermelon. We do some fun game activities where the prizes are watermelon flavored candy or gum. The kids really seem to enjoy it and it is fun for me, too! :D

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2007

any ideas on this topic for a 3rd grade teacher?

7. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Most of my first day stuff is getting procedures down- rules and expectations. I do however read a "Welcome" book and then I also read "How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?" (Only $5.00 at Kohls right now!!) and discuss cafeteria rules and expectations. We do a "get to know me" activity and then go outside to get the wiggles out.

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 4, 2007

I usually have something like a glyph on their desks when they first come in. I discuss and model routines and procedures. We complete an "All About Me" activity. More rules expectations. I try to do something fun with each subject the first day as an introduction. Nothing serious or hard. We wrap the day up with "This year I will put my best foot forward by..." I have the kids take of their shoes and draw and color them. On the same sheet of construction paper they write how they will put their "best foot" forward. The kids really love this activity.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 4, 2007

I'm first grade but I'll share anyway...

I have a back to school ABC dot to dot for them to work on and color while we take care of morning business.

We do a tour of their tables, go over and practice procedures for the materials. Tour of the classroom, hand signals, bathroom procedure, active listening sign, etc.

We do morning meeting and greet each other and sing a song. We read a book, Wemberly Worried, and discuss our school-wide citizenship program.

We'll read If You Bring a Mouse to School and take our tour of our school (we are having a lot of construction so it may be a little confusing for some of them who were there last year!) and we can practice hallway expectations. When we come back we'll write about what we saw.

Then after lunch we'll read This is the Way We Go to School and create a graph showing how we came to school today.

We'll spend an extra long time going over pack up procedures and BEE Books (home folders). Then depending on the time we'll wrap up our day with some more songs or sharing.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 4, 2007

Fourth.

The students come in and complete a survey that I keep for the remainder of the year. This helps me to write their mini-biographies for Student of the Week in the classroom newsletter, Jasztal's Headlines. They fill out the same survey the last week of school.

I also read a story called The Frightening, Dark, and Shaky First Day of Fourth Grade that I wrote myself. I do not have a copy of it on the computer.

We review procedures quite a bit...

I show my Me Bag because for day 2, they're bringing in their own Me Bags to share.

They complete a thinking map about themselves as well- interests in one circle and people who influenced them outside of that. I may use an idea from a neat teacher who retired two school years ago by having them fill out different thinking maps to make a poster.

I also take a photo of them while they complete this thinking map.

This year, we may do the string for height and outline of the students' hands as well. I want to think of more for this.

Nothing too extravagent. We get more into the exciting Getting to Know You activities in days 2-4 because of the procedures I feel I need to introduce on day 1.

11. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for all the help you've given me with this thread! We are converting to a year round schedule so I start school next week! :D
    What convenient timing!

12. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

Amedinaoh I am taking a wild guess but are you in Wake County :) With all out year round conversions here I was just wondering.

This will only be my second time starting third grade, so here is some ideas I have.

Students will come in and have morning work which will be to create their name plate. Instead of buying a name plate I have the students take a sentence strip and write their name and decorate. Then I take a digital picture of them and put it on the end so when a sub comes he or she always knows the students are in their right desks. The students also love having their pictures. Then I take clear packing tape and tape it down.

Then students create their locker decks. I give them a 3x5 index card where they write their name and decorate. Then we tape them on the lockers outside our room.

Next we will have the morning news show and then time to have our morning meeting. We will sit on the floor and introduce each other. Let some people share about their summer.

Then we will take a tour of all the places where we need to talk about procedures. We will stop and talk about how to act, practice the bad way and then the good way so we all know what is expected. (bathroom, cafeteria, playground, auditorium, hallway)

When we get back I will give the students all their first writing prompt. They have to sit in their seats and complete a prompt which I keep in their cum folders.

After their writing prompts we will talk about our "Places of Learning" I have a chart with all different places in the room like, teachers chair, library chair, pillow, floor, desk, underneath the table, stool, rocking chair. All these places are places of learning that we use. There are enough places for each person to get. I have five pillows so that means five people might get a pillow as their place of learning. I have about three people on the floor anywhere and then I have about five people at their desks. The rest are in the places I listed above. The point of the places of learning is so the children have somewhere to go when we have DEAR time or individual work time. I allow them to take a clipboard and they can work in their place of learning. None of the students are close enough to each other to cheat and they are really well behaved because they know they can lose their place of learning. I change them once a week.

That is all I have for right now...when I think of more I will write more

13. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

Ms. Jasztal-
    What do you put in your "Me Bag" and what do you require your students to bring and in what?
    Thanks!