First Day Plans, help!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

I'm having a hard time planning the first week of school. All my other first days have been in first grade, and most of the things we did were very basic. Hardly any writing, lots of coloring, lots of singing/movement, letter names and beginning sounds, etc.

What are some things you do with your second graders on the first day of school? Would you mind writing a list? THANKS!

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Math worksheet-addition/subtraction mixes(to see where they are)
    Begin a get to know you activity(last year a poster about "Me," this year a glyph)
    Organize classroom supplies...unpack, unwrap, label, store items(such as watercolors, glue sticks, etc) and organize desks
    Classroom procedures like morning job routines, quick tour of bldg w/ discussion regarding specials, bathroom procedure, etc

Believe it or not, that can take all morning.

Lunch clean up routine, lunchroom expectations, lunch, recess

Afternoon,
    Start math...calendar components and first lesson

Recess

To the end of the day:
    Book choice...today a free for all...next week or so, specific book themes/areas will be focused as well as procedures for putting books away.

Back to Get to Know you glyph during which I get a picture of each child with their 1st day activity to go in our year end memory books.

Pack up procedures and clean the room. Organize kids for home according to bus color, pick ups, etc. Bye-bye.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

4. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 3, 2008

I too am new to second grade, but I am so excited and have already started planning some things in my head. Gab, thanks for the list!

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I use lots of books to help me teach the ever important routines, procedures and rules.

First Day Jitters
    Things I Learned in Second Grade
    How I Spent my Summer Vacation

all of these books open the door for getting a good beginning of the year writing sample.

I would suggest the book, The First Six Weeks of School. It gives you a daily schedule and then you can adapt it to fit your needs.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I plan on doing our Time Capsule activities the first couple of days definately!

I also plan on doing a "Getting To Know You" bingo game.

I want to do "Me Bags" but I'd rather leave those personal things for our Star Of The Week activities.

I plan on doing alot of read alouds related to friendship, school & getting along.

Going over procedures.

Introducing "Book Shopping" procedures & getting kids into just right books right away!!

We will start some writing right away! I might start them with a prompt and then introduce them to completing "A Map Of My Heart" in which they brainstorm writing ideas about things they care about.

Introducing calendar math & starting calendar math notebook activities.

7. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 3, 2008

We color cupcakes for our birthday picture graph. I use a book about a bulldog who finds that she has special talents and we do a little writing activity about what we are good at (which I keep in a portfolio.) I do a mini math assessment (just for a glimpse.) We start calendar. We talk about rules throughout the day and role play how to/how NOT to follow specific rules. We only have a 1/2 day (this year we have two) so I don't have tons of time.

I just got The First Six Weeks of School and I'm wading through it for some new ideas!

8. BookWorm26

BookWorm26 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I love this idea! I will keep a portfolio on each student and this will be their first writing sample. Thanks!

Miss kirby: A to Z teacher stuff has a printable book called Welcome back to Second Grade, I think it is about $12....There are a lot of really great ideas for the first week of school...it's 125 pages and well worth the money...if you would like it click on the printable tab then click on themes, back to school