First day of student teaching.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Robert1102, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Robert1102

Robert1102 New Member

Nov 6, 2005

Good evening:
    While scanning the internet I noticed your website, and I have a question regarding student teaching. In January I am starting my student teaching assignment at a local public elementary school.
    While I imagine all assignments, teachers and principals can be different do you think it is a good thing for a school to have an orientation for new student teachers? Or, is this not necessary?
    Thank you, and I look forward to your response.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 6, 2005

When I started my student teaching the principal had all of us come in to meet with her about two weeks before our semester there began. It was nice to be able to meet her and get a tour of the school ahead of time. She made it very clear that she was there to help us and wanted to ease our nerves as much as possible. We were also given the opportunity to meet our cooperating teachers and see the classrooms we were going to be in. We were only at the school for about a half hour and the majority of that time was spent on the tour of the building and seeing the classroom, but we were given the student handbook with rules and procedures to take home and read which was really helpful. I was really glad that the principal set up that mini-orientation for us....it did make me feel a little better going in on the first day. Even if the school doesn't set up an orientation, I think it is extremely important to call and make an appointment to go into the school, meet the principal and most importantly meet your cooperating teacher...we were required to do this by the college, but I was lucky in that the principal set up the meeting for us. :)

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 6, 2005

By the way...Welcome to a to z!

Good luck with your student teaching next semester! I loved my student teaching. It was a wonderful experience.
    Do you know what grade level you're being placed in yet?

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 6, 2005

Does the school have something set up for you?

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 6, 2005

It would be nice, especially if there are are several student teachers in the same school. I was the only one at the school where I student taught. The principal took me around the school and showed me everything. One of the paras in the school showed me how use the equipment in the work room and where all the supplies were kept. Other than that, any orientation for what was expected was covered by my university and master teacher. It was really good to go in before I started and get a feel for the school. I started in the fall so there really wasn't a chance to go in with kids there, but the great thing was I got a feel for how the first day of school goes.

7. heyMiss!

heyMiss! Rookie

Nov 29, 2005

I am just finishing my first semester of student teaching. It was not at all what I'd expected, but definitely helpful! The teacher I was working with pretty much let me set my own pace (in other words, she was disorganized and didn't have much structure for me). We were 28 student teachers in this one elementary school, so I couldn't really remember who was a teacher and who wasn't!

Anyway, we had an orientation along with the kick-off of the new school year for all the teachers, so we got the sexual harassment lecture and all that good stuff. I think it is always good to be reminded of those things when entering a new work environment. I didn't bother myself too much about learning where anything more than restrooms, library, and work room were because the kids lead the way if you're headed anywhere else! Also, you will not remember people you meet the first day until you start connecting them with their respective environment... so don't worry about stuff too much either way.

Good luck!

8. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Nov 29, 2005

I am student teaching in January as well and I have a meeting with one of the directors of the school district I will be teaching in. Apparently he meets with all student teachers before they start for a kind of orientation. I have also visited the school and my cooperating teacher gave me a tour, introduced me to teachers, etc. Good luck with everything! I know I'm excited and a bit scared at the same time!

9. LycoManda

LycoManda Rookie

Nov 30, 2005

I am also starting student teaching in January. My college requires that we spend 30 hours with our co-op observing the semester before we student teach. If we didnt have this, I would definately have called my co-op and also made an appointment to see the principal. Making a good first impression is important. Just introduce yourself and ask if there was a time that you could make an informal appointment with them. I would also suggest that you take along a copy of you resume and teaching phil. We were required to do this also, in addition to a sample lesson plan, a sample unit plan and a few recommendations from profs.

10. heyMiss!

heyMiss! Rookie

Nov 30, 2005

Wow! You guys have it a lot better than I did. I think it's good that they are forcing you to be more prepared and professional before you even start in the classroom. (Observations, portfolios, philosophy, etc.)

I would have preferred observation hours before my student teaching started, but my college of Ed is pretty lousy... they almost lost their accreditation recently because so many teachers were failing the exit exam...!

My student teaching consited a lot of just pitching in wherever, and also stuff like asking me on Monday to teach the next lesson in math (or L/A, or whatever) on Wednesday... but not according to the teacher's lesson plans because she wanted to see how I did it and then planned to follow up with her own lesson the following day.

I learned to do a lot of improvisation, but I didn't develop many really solid plans that I can pull from my portfolio in the future. Luckily I will have a second, more intense semester of student teaching before I graduate.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2005

If you don;'t mind me asking what college are you going to? I went to UHCL and although the college was ok my student teaching was great! The only reason I learned anythign was b/c of my mentor. She was the best. We didn;t have any type of orientation at the school but I did go in and meet with my mentor before I began student teaching.

12. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Dec 1, 2005

I start student teaching in Longmeadow, MA in January. I know how nervous you must feel. I hope my school has that kind of program before I begin teaching!

13. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 2, 2005

I think an orientation would've helped a great deal. We showed up the beginning of August when teachers reported. We didn't have placements...and were not really wanted by the teachers. It made me sad, the school wouldn't get different schools for us. The COE here is horrible and waited until the very last minute to get us schools. I wish they were organized enough we knew who our CTs were sooner so we could meet and discuss classroom situations and mutual expectations.

The COE I am in is under evaluation to see if they keep accreditation. :confused: I can't get a strait answer. If the school looses accreditation right after I graduate what will that mean for me and my fellow student teachers? Will this hurt our chances of getting hired?

14. LycoManda

LycoManda Rookie

Dec 3, 2005

Hatima,
    I am pretty sure that if students have gone through the program and the school is under evaluation, it means that they still have accreditation until the state revokes it. Which means, you will MOST DEFINATELY have a teaching cert. from an accredited school, regaurdless of if they loose it or not. I think that if you are applying to local school districts who know about this evaluation then maybe it would impact the choice for you or another applicant. I went through a similar situation with clinical psychology at a University where I recieved my Masters and I get so fired up about it!! haha. I dont think it should matter, it was accredited when you were there and when you graduate so YOU are accredited!

15. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 4, 2005

I hope so. Thanks for the info LycoManda.

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2005

Wow hatima! UNM's college of ed might lose its accreditation? That's something to tell my mom, she keeps saying I should go to UNM instead of NMSU...

17. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Dec 10, 2005

Robert!

Congratulations. I'm student teaching in January too. I have an orientation/interview next week. I got my assignment late but my college sent all student teachers out last Thursday for an orientation to see if all the students and teachers mesh. I have one friend who had to interview with the principal and teacher to see if she was "good enough" for their school. The principal told her on the phone that they had a reputation to uphold (snotty district). Needless to say, she had a wonderful experience and is excited to go there but she had an actual interview and was petrified. She must have done something right because they called her an hour later and accepted her as a student teacher.

What is your school doing?

18. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Dec 10, 2005

I'm at Rowan U in New Jersey. I'm also at the school I just finished my field experience (junior practicum to most of you) this semester and I'll be in 3rd grade. Preparation is so important, especially if you haven't taught before. Our program (P3 certification) makes us spend at least 160 hours in the classroom before we student teach. We are all so well prepared to be in the classroom. The El Ed. program (k-5) only has students spend a few hours for their junior practicum. I have so many friends in that program who are scared to death because they've never taught before. I think that all schools should require at least 100 hours of classroom time before letting everyone loose.

Robert, is your school setting anything up for you? If not, and you know your cooperating teacher, call him/her and ask if you can spend a day observing and getting to know the class so you can be prepared.

Good Luck.

19. AllLevelArt

AllLevelArt Rookie

Dec 13, 2005

I'm in Texas too. In my program almost all of the schools had student teacher orientations....not done by the school itself but by the district.
    I'm sure you'll get notification as soon as you have your placement.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 14, 2005

Well guys, I just completed all my student teaching & all other coursework to get my special ed credential & in January, I begin my student teaching to get my multiple subjects credential. Hopefully, I can get approval to only do 1 term (rather than 2) of multiple subject student teaching since I already did 2 terms of special ed student teaching. I'm also working on my master's in education w/ special ed emphasis. I'm in for a rigorous quarter in January! Other than a few days or so of subbing, etc., I have like a month off from school! Yeah!! Good luck to everyone!!

21. smilesjd

smilesjd Rookie

Dec 14, 2005

When I student taught last year I did not have an orientation. The university that I attended set up orientations for us with all of our field placements, but not student teaching. They figured by the time we student teach we should be responsible enough to set up meeting times with our cooperating teacher and principal to get to know the school and students before we started teaching. Being the last semester of our college career they made it Sink or Swim time, and I'd have to say they made a good choice. This not being the only thing, but I'd have to say it made it clear who was putting forth the extra effort and who was not. I already knew everyone before I started teaching and it was a BIG school.

22. heyMiss!

heyMiss! Rookie

Dec 16, 2005

What is the difference between "field placements" and "student teaching? My college has 2 semesters of student teaching with concurrent attendance of the last handful of courses for our degree. Actually, meeting the teacher and all that is fine, but when you've got a million other things going on, including a job that actually pays the bills... just because you don't know everybody at the school doesn't mean you're not a dedicated student.

23. smilesjd

smilesjd Rookie

Dec 17, 2005

Field placements, in the university that I attended, took place in your junior year and the first semester of your senior year. This is were you do the same thing as student teaching, but it is only for half days and you are only in a classroom for about 8 weeks and then you move on to another. Student teaching occurs the second semester of your senior year, at this university, and it is for of course more weeks and you teach full time. During field placements, we still had to take a full time college schedule. During student teaching we only had to take a few classes. During BOTH, I know a number of my classmates worked at jobs, including me. I guess we were just use to a hectic schedule! We had to teach, attend classes, work, and do school work since the beginning of our junior year, so I guess we were just use to it! No, just because you don't know everyone at the school doesn't mean you're not dedicated, and thats not what I meant. But, at the univeristy I attended, it was part of the grade to make an effort to get to know the staff, the building, and the students on our own time before your started. No time was set up for us by the university or the buildings we were student teaching at. So, like I stated before.....it was clear who was putting forth the extra effort and who was not. If you felt you didn't "have time" to be responsible and do this things, and it got back to your supervisor that no effort was made, it really didn't look good for you at all. Thats all I was saying.......In my situation at the university I attended the statement I made was true. I was sharing my experience, please don't take my experience personal.

24. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Dec 28, 2005

wow! some of you have really tough schedules during student teaching. At my school, we are not allowed to have any other classes during student teaching other than student teaching seminar. We spent over 160 hours of classroom observation, small group, and classroom teaching before student teaching.

Good luck to everyone. I'm excited to start on Jan. 17th.

Oh..as far as meeting the coop. teacher, etc. our college set up a date for that but I didn't have my assignment yet, so I called the teacher as soon as I found out. I've been there twice. I also noticed that the teachers have an inservice a week before I am officially supposed to start. I offered to go with my teacher cause you never know what you'll learn (and I've never been to an inservice). I'm getting soooooooooooo excited.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 28, 2005

Our connection with the local college, which happens to be the college I went to, is wonderful. Students are in the classroom observing and helping out their 2nd semester of their freshman year up until their internship. It's great. You get to teach lessons and be observed and evaluated by the teachers and faculty of both schools. By the time you get to your internship you're ready. You're also really lucky to be able to get an assignment at this school. This school is also really good about hiring those who did their internship here. They like to keep a good balance of new teachers and experienced teachers. It does help that the college is one of the best Education schools in the U.S.

Be open to suggestions and get to know the other teachers. They can really help you. Hopefully you'll be at a school where teachers are as open as ours. Good Luck to all of you!!!

26. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 30, 2005

I didn't read through all the replies, but in answer to the op, I wish we had had some type of orientation. The principal / vp never introduced themselves to me or made themselves accessible in any way. I had to go find them and introduce myself. I loved my student teaching & I had a great CT, but I just think the admin. could have been more helpful. BTW, I made sure to get in good with the secretaries and the janitors on the first day. They were way more important to me than the principals, anyway. ;)

27. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Dec 30, 2005

I start my student teaching on January 9th and I am very excited about it! I went a few weeks ago and met my co-operating teacher. I am lucky in the fact that I am student teaching at the same school where my daughter attends so I know a lot of the teachers.

At our school, I spent this past semester (Fall '05) doing Field work, which meant I spent 3 mornings a week in a school. I was required to teach at least 10 lessons the whole time I was there. This next semester during my student teaching, I am not allowed to take any other classes (even correspondence) or work a full-time job.

I enjoyed reading this post. I am nervous about my student teaching, but I am very excited about it as well! :angel:

28. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Dec 31, 2005

mrscad, I'm nervous and excited too. I love teaching and I love my school. The principal gave me a double hug when she finally put my face with my name (I was there last semester). Even the superintendent said he heard wonderful things about me. I can't believe how much I love this school.....hopefully they will hire me in May when I'm done.

I'm sure we'll all be posting alot here once we start. I don't start officially until the 17th, but I'm going to the inservice on the 13th.

Good luck to all of us.

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

Teacherece- Where did Rowan place you? Good luck...I love 3rd grade and thats what I student taught in actually:)

My college, The College of NJ, actually had several field placements. In my freshman year, I visited 3-4 classrooms to observe teachers in general (just visited one time each). My sophomore year I had a 10 week nursey school practicum. I also had a field placement where I did a child study (in the other semester of sophomore year). Junior year, I had my Junior Professional Experience where I spent a semester in a kindergarten classroom and had all of my methods courses. Finally senior year I had student teaching. I also had one class with student teaching where I learned about reading difficulties (that was half a semester).

My program was awesome...I was an early childhood education major. At my school, all eced, elem, and secondary ed majors need an academic major too...so my other major was psychology and that took up the other semesters:)

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2006

One other cool things is- now that I teach in a district that is very close to where I went to college, I get to help train pre-service teachers...

You have to be tenured to take a student-teacher, but they have lots of programs for sophomores and juniors where you don't have to be tenured, but your principal has to approve you to do it. Its so much fun.

I am lucky- I actually got a job where I student taught. :) Good luck everyone!!!

31. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2006

It' s amazing how many different set ups there are for training teachers. My college has you do field experiences for every class that you take in education. Some are just projects while others are you actually going to a school to observe and then writing a paper about what happened and what you learned. Then the next step is practicum. If you are early child, then you have practicum for 1-3 or 4-6. I want to teach 4 or 5, so i'll do practicum 1-3. Then we have a professional semester where we do our student teaching, and two classes at the college, one is classroom management and the other one escapes me. I think it's something like assessing and assisting learning patterns of children. I can't wait to do a more hands-on classroom experience. I'm tired of just sitting and watching. But i'm scared too. It's getting closer and closer to when I'm going to get too!!

32. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jan 5, 2006

leighball....I'm at JFK in West Berlin (close to my house). Great school, nice administrators, great principal...12 days and counting...

33. kermy

kermy Companion

Jan 6, 2006

i start my second phase in 2 wks. I'm in first grade and i'm nervous! I haven't been in a first grade class in like 2 years. I'll see what happens.

34. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jan 6, 2006

good luck kermy...keep posting so we can all support each other over the next few months with the help of our veteran friends.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 9, 2006

I just earned my special ed credential last month & now today was my 1st day of student teaching to get my multiple subjects credential. It's a 3rd grade class w/ 18 kids. I like that grade, not too young where they don't know what school's all about, yet not too old where they are smart alecks yet.

This quarter & next will be the most rigorous ever for me because it's the last two quarters before earning my MA, so I have to do research & really get down to business!

The teacher already wants me to be her sub whenever she's out! That's great because I'll need all the money I can get!

36. kermy

kermy Companion

Jan 10, 2006

yea that is really an exciting oppertunity. I was able to do that as well and then the students see you in a new light and see that you really are a teacher and you want to help them sucessed.

37. holdenfan

holdenfan Rookie

Jan 17, 2006

I think it is extremely important, I wish they had one at the school I am student teaching at now. I have not met the principal, and for my first two days I walked the halls and no one questioned it. I am not saying that I look shady or like a hs student but with security the way it has been I was surprised at how laxed this school was.

38. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jan 20, 2006

I started my student teaching last week. My college was so unprepared it was sad. I was assigned to a classroom, but the school I was assigned to didn't come back off of winter break until the day I was supposed to start student teaching, so there was no way to contact the teacher because the school was closed. I showed up on Monday and the teacher had no idea she had a student teacher. She was really nice though and she took me under he wing and is helping me out a lot! I got an interview next week for an internship teaching job, so I hope I pass it. That way I'll get paid and it counts towards my student teaching.

39. heyMiss!

heyMiss! Rookie

Jan 23, 2006

Well, so... how's it going for all of you? I was in Sweden for three weeks and am just catching up now that I'm back. I was surprised nobody's shared anything about your first days now... but of course, you're probably too busy! ;) I'm taking an easy load this semester and will finish off my degree with more intense student teaching and classes next fall, so I'm needing to keep contact with people actually doing their student teaching so I don't get too out of touch in the interim. Actually, I was motivated by how much observation you all have done before student teaching; I'm hoping to put in quite a few observation hours this semester just for my own agenda because after this it will get too busy and then all of a sudden I'll be a teacher and not have time to just observe teachers!