First day of school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

I am in need of a good team building activity that doesn't involve food items. Does anyone have any ideas? I have lots of popsicle sticks....I was thinking of something like groups building the best boat in a certain amount of time using only some supplies I give them. The winning team is the one who creates the boat that can float with the most pennies on it.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I know there are things that can be done with balloons, but I'm drawing a blank as to what I've done in the past.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

I've done the penny/boat activity using a 4 inch square aluminum foil.

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 9, 2009

I really like this idea! I think I'm going to try this.

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

A teacher in my building did a team building activity last year. She had a Kleenex box, a paper towel roll, several straws and masking tape for each group. The Kleenex boxes must be the same size. Each team had so long to make a tower using these items. The idea is to make the tallest tower. It must also stand on its own. At the end of the time they would measure to see who had the tallest tower. The kids loved it.

6. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I do this type of activity using dry spaghetti noodles, gumdrops and marshmallows. BUT I have a student with a food allergy so I am trying to get away from an activity that involves food, just to be on the safe side.

7. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I do an activity similar to this only I require it to be absolutely silent. Students are not allowed to talk (or write) during the activity.

8. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

You should check out the book The First Six Weeks of School. MANY great ideas.