First day of school.....

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Jul 11, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

What do yall have planned for the kids to work on when they first come into the classroom? I am trying to think of something cheap and creative for them to do. I was thinking about letting them decorate a large kid cut out and then maybe a large letter of the alphabet. I saw where one teacher let the kids decorate letter cutouts and she posted them above her board and it was so cute! I want to know what yall are planning on doing.

3. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I'm not sure yet...I've been wondering alot about this too. This is my third year teaching, but it will be my first teaching first grade. My first year I taught kinder, but since I was a late hire, I wasn't able to experience the first day of school.

I don't really want to give them anything that too arts and craftsy....or maybee anything that requires glue, because some kids may not know or need to be reminded of how to use glue.
    I was thinking about just giving them a little coloring booklet that they can work on. I also want to leave a small book bin in the middle of each table, for those fast finishers. Hopefully this will give me enough time to finish communicating with any parents that may have questions or comfort any students that are crying. After only students are left, we'll move into a read aloud and do a little activity with that will incorporate the importance of rules.

I'm still not sure, I will continue to think on it...fortunantly school doesn't start for us until the end of August.

4. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

I THINK I AM GOING TO HAVE A HANDWRITING SHEET ON THEIR TABLE TO WORK ON FIRST....THEN THEY CAN COLOR THE KID CUT OUT.....THE BOOK BIN IS A GOOD IDEA....I THINK I WILL DO THAT TOO.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 11, 2008

I'm as busy as a bee
    On my first day of school
    At ..... ...... Elementary!

I had a paper with something like this on it, with a picture of a bee. The kids had to color it and they took it home. The year before it was a dot-to-dot of a bee. Bees is our theme!

I don't know what I'll do this year in second grade!!! Eeeek.

6. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Last year, I had them color the first page that was to be in their Moose books. This year I am not going to do the books, so I may have a write your alphabet sheet or spell the colors sheet. Some sheet so I can start making informal evaluations about where my students are.

7. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

I'm having them make their own bookmarks from an on-line source of bookmark templates, so I'll have them coloring one of the bookmarks. :Using a bookmark will be one of the lessons of the day.

8. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I usually have them do "Welcome To First Grade" packet-it is just a packet with various coloring/counting sheets-this is to see who knows their colors and numbers. I also have them write their first and last name on a handwriting sheet-also to see who can do this w/o problems (I collect this and one of the coloring sheet)

1. Once everyone has come in I will start collecting supplies (by group color)-students not unpacking will continue back to school packet
    2. Do a read-a-loud Rumble in the JunlgeThen we take a Jungle Safari-tour of the school/use the restroom/come back and have a jungle snack (package of animal cookies/juice box)
    3. Go over the rules/classroom procedures/student handbook
    4. Shared Reading: The Kissing Hand I also do activities to go with the book
    5. Writing: I give them a piece of writing paper (blank up top/handwriting at the bottom/my first writing sample How they
    spent their summer(this will go in their Reading First folder)
    6. Lunch
    7. Read a loud The Night Before First GradeIndependent Reading (baskets on the table)/Burke Reading Inventory
    8. Math-introduce math board
    9. Recess
    10. Social Studies/Science Class graph of how we get to school/review class rules/school safety/safety booklet

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  9. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Last year I bought a huge bag of play-dough from Costco. They all got their own little tub. This kept them busy for awhile while I helped get everyone in, and collect their supplies. I was so glad I had something easy for them to do. Last year was my first year in 1st grade and I was a little afraid when I said "Go put your backpacks in your lockers" and they didn't know how. (silly me)

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Hi there- I posted this a few weeks after school started last year but thought it might be helpful-- Hope it it is.

Hi there-
    I understand how nervous you are. I was there. I think every teacher was there too. You will be fine. That is the first thing you should know.
    I had my first week of teaching first grade last week. It went so well. (I have taught 4,3, and 2 previously). The first week I ran morning meeting in order to learn each others names and begin to build a classroom community. This started day one. Other than that, I did a few assessments with the kids having them write on a piece of paper the letters they know, another starting at 0 and having them write numbers as far as they could and one where I asked them to write as many words as they remembered.
    I also read many books. First Day Jitters is a great one. I read a few books by Kevin Henkes (Wemberly Worried was great to introduce and talk about how they were feeling about first grade and if they had any worries or wonders etc. I then placed a notebook on a shelf where they were able to write or draw their own worries).
    If you can, get some poems about school starting or September and have them paste them in a poetry journal. I did a bunch of these this week and had them draw a picture of what the poem made them think of next to the poem. It worked really well.
    Also, I read the story Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes and we talked about how many letters there are in her name. I then had the children cut out the letters of their own first name and paste them. They then wrote down how many letters there were in their names and we created a class graph. It was a great activity and I was able to begin to use some of the math terms that they will hear throughout the year such as; greatest, least, more than, less than.
    We also began doing calendar this week which was great. I did the calendar activities and modeled for them. They will be taking over in a few weeks.
    Also, the first day, we put their names on the word wall. I had them written on index cards (consonants in black and vowels in red). Before putting up each name I would give the children clues and they had to figure out if it was their name. For example; the name I am holding has an I in it. If it could be your name stand up. I continued this until we had one person standing. We then put it up.
    I played a few word wall games with the kiddos using their names.
    Another great activity is to ask the children what their hope and dream is for first grade and have them write and draw it. They came up with wonderful hopes for the year such as, I hope to learn to read in first grade or I hope to make new friends. This will help us to create classroom rules next week.
    You can always have the children respond to any book that you read. A great book to get children writing is How I Spent My Summer Vacation. I read it to the kids and then asked them to think, pair, share about something they did throughout the summer. I then sent them back to their seats to write and draw about what they had shared. GREAT!!!!!!!!
    Also remember that A LOT of the first week is practicing and learning routines and expectations. Be prepared with a signal that you will use in order to gain their attention. Practice, practice, practice. I use a chime. Practice the routines by having the kids watch you model and then make noticings about what you did etc. Then have children individually try this as the rest watch and notice what they do. They love to show the wrong way and then fix it.
    I hope this didn't overload you-- Hope it helps a little. They will be so excited to be there and in first grade!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO it!!!!!!
    HAPPY NEW SCHOOL YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 14, 2008

OOH! That's great TRAYUMS! I love your book extension activities. I think I would like to read Chrysanthemum this year for the first day. Where did you get the letters? From magazines or did you have them already picked out? How long did this project take?
    Thanks for all your great ideas!:2up:

12. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I usually put out a dot-to-dot and a some play dough with cutters for each table. I save the art project for later in the day when I can give them some direction. I find it's easiest to give them something they can do on their own and keep busy with while I deal with children, parents, school supplies, and lunch money, etc.

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

Hi there- the kids really loved it and I did too!!! I just typed each child's name on the computer and enlarged the font size so it was big enough to fit on the sentence strip. I think I drew lines in between each letter though because I wanted them to see them line up to analyze the graph :) So glad you like the ideas!

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

whoops just noticed you asked how long it took. I would say that whole activity from reading the book to analyzing the graph data took about an hour... you could also read the book at a diff. part of the day and do the name activity later too.:D

15. ChristieABC

ChristieABC Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Group Puzzle

Before the first day, I cut a large piece of poster board into puzzle pieces. The kids each color their piece and then we put the puzzle together as a morning activity. It's a great way to talk about uniqueness and the classroom community.

16. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Someone last year talked about playdough she makes with food coloring inside. She tells the students she knows they will have a great year if the dough turned a certain color. Of course, they all turn out that color. It sounded like a neat idea. I ran out of time to make the dough so I didn't try it.

17. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

How cute and very creative! I think I'll adapt this idea to fit my Jungle Theme classroom. Thanks for sharing the idea.

18. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

My teammate did this last year and her kids really got a kick out of it.