First Day of School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2007

Write about your first day of school here. Mine is in 9 days, and my classroom is a world a way from being ready. But I think it's pretty exciting to hear about other people's first day adventures! :2up:

3. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 3, 2007

The kids don't come back for another 2 weeks, so I don't have a first day story for this year yet. However, this past year was my first year in 1st. I was a nervous wreck! While I'm trying to meet parents and students (who did not come on meet the teacher day) I got 2 new students and had to find 2 more desks! One of the new students came on the bus (didn't know anyone!) and was about in tears. VERY STRESSFUL! But the day went well after that.

Maybe we could share funny stories too. Here are a few of mine: At the end of my first year teaching we received our yearbooks. We all sat in a circle and took turns saying 1 nice thing about each person (to help us when it was time to sign yearbooks). When it was my turn one of the boys cocked his head back, crossed his arms and said, "I have only one thing to say Ms. Berry. YOU'RE HOT!" Needless to say that child passed the 3rd grade.:2up:

The following year I was teaching at a different school but same grade. I had just finished chewing a few of the kids out when one of my students looked at them seriously and said, "YOU'RE FIRED!" (The Apprentice was very popular.) I couldn't help but laugh and my anger quickly went away.

This past year I taught 1st grade. One of my students went to hug me at the end of the day and her head rested on my belly. I'm a pretty skinny person, but all women have a little poochy belly during certain times. :| Well, this child looked up at me and said, "Ms. Berry, you look like you're going to have a baby." Needless to say, I did not eat the candy bar I had been craving all day since I obviously looked like I was expecting and WASN'T. Kids say the darndest things.:lol:

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

I have a cute story. I had one of the girls in last year's class ask me, "What does it mean when a boy say's you're hot stuff?" It turned out to be some boy at the daycare both of them go to after school. Later she says to me, "I guess that means he's my boyfriend." Kids are so cute and funny at age 5.

5. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 4, 2007

We don't go back for 3 more weeks. I will be sure and update then.

6. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Last year I had a student show up on the first day of school an hour & a half after the school day started. I should have known then that it would be just the beginning of many, many, tardies. (I think she had about 25-30 tardies in one quarter. For the first 2-3 weeks of school she was late every day!)

7. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Many years ago....when I taught at a school that had window units my AC was out on the first day of school:( I just remember being miserably hot!

8. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I have a funny story-I was known for wearing my hair up everyday (I'm SCARED of LICE!). On picture day I thought I would do something different and wear my hair down for a change. Well needless to say I got some good comments from students and teachers. Then i had one little boy in my class ask "Miss. Shipe are you wearing a wig?" Kids sure do say the darndest things! My colleagues and I got a kick out of it thats for sure!

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2007

I've never taught at a school that HAS a/c at all. We just get used to sweating. :mellow:

Granted I'm in the midwest and probably don't have prolonged heat like you do (I grew up in the south), but we've had many, many days in the 90s with high humidity. You practically have to peel drippy kids off the floor at the end of the day.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

On the opposite side of that, my hair was shoulder length (until last week) and I wore it down every day. One day, I decided to do something different, and put in a little pony tail. All the kids thought I cut my hair!

They will be shocked when they see me when school starts. My hair really is short now!

11. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

At registration, a pair of brothers were arguing over my name. I teach Spanish, and the 1st grader remembered me as my translated name using Senora, while the 4th grader swore up and down that my name was something else. (The English version.)
    It was funny having to explain the difference. I thought they already understood that!

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2007

Here is my somewhat funny story from our first day last week...

Ok, school starts at 8:20, but I already had a morning assignment passed out, and a power point telling all the kids what to do when they came in (good old Harry Wong!) by about 7:45. So I decided to run to the office & R.R. quickly before school started.

So I get back to my room by about 8:00, and am shocked to see 8 or so kids in their desks, silent, working on their assignments. Needless to say, I was amazed at how well they were working with no one in the room. It did stink that they were finished with their assignments before everyone else (thank goodness I over plan!)