First day of school

Discussion in 'High School' started by inlovewithwords, Jul 16, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 16, 2007

This year will be my official first year of teaching. I will be teaching
    9th grade English to some very struggling readers and writers. I want to do something on the first day of school that will spark their interest for what will be happening in my class throughout the year. I don't want to just play games. I want to do something powerful where we analyze something important...I want them to walk out of class that first day and feel like they didnt want to leave and that they may begin to enjoy reading.
    Anyone have any good article or picture or discussion question? Something that will get everyone into a discussion.
    Please participate in this thread. I need any and all ideas that you have or have used. I really appreciate all your help!

3. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I wanted to post a thread just like this... I know there are some great ideas out there...

4. MEM

MEM Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I too am looking for some ideas. I'll have a Grade 7 class in a large 7/8 only school. First two days will be only with the homeroom teacher to do character building, learning the school, etc. How to keep them engaged and interested without boring them with all the rules and details I must impart?

I did Kindergarten last year so Grade 7 is new, and very different!

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

First day of school I have my kids hand write rules and procedures. We usually start classes on a Wednesday. Friday I have a fun, laid back activity for them after a quiz (like coloring their folders).

I wait a bit to hook my kids (but I do hook them). Last year setting chips on fire did the trick - but I doubt you could get away with that outside of a science class.