First Day of School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GAteacher87, Jul 22, 2012.

1. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 22, 2012

What do you do to set the tone on the first day of school, especially if you are teaching in a setting where low motivation is a factor?

3. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 22, 2012

I do a few "get to know you" activities. (a paper/sheet about themselves, a little poster, used to do a "ME" bag, but then other teachers started doing it too, classroom scavenger hunt, and some other things) I'm doing some collaboration activities right away to build a positive classroom climate (homefield advantage activity). I do a power point about myself and have the students do a little poster on themselves. We also go over procedures and expectations and read a little story called "Two Choices" and a poem about respect. I'm in a setting with low motivation, so the getting to know you activities help.

4. MsB2012

MsB2012 Companion

Jul 22, 2012

I read about and was taught a concept last year before I got my certification to let students be a part of the rule making process, and that they will follow class rules more closely if they have a part in coming up with them. You then have them sign a classroom contract the second day of school that they will follow these rules (and have them listed again). Has anyone tried this before? If so, how would I make this work with two classes? I mean, I would want the kiddos to have the same rules and guidelines for each class essentially--but my third graders switch classes with one other class, so I will have two classes.