first day of school mix

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AngelM, Jul 15, 2008.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Hi,

I have heard of teachers who do some kind of snack mix on the first day of school. Each cup of each item represents something. It's all mixed together and then students snack on it. There is a meaning behind it - maybe a friendship mix? Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about and what you use to make it? Thanks!:D

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Be very careful in creating this. If you don't know if any of your students have allergies this can cause a problem, especially if you show the mix to the class and then one or two children cannot eat it.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks, Missy99, for the links.

Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with allergy issues, Janlee. Last year I had the allergy class - nuts, eggs, wheat, milk, you name it (severe). On the plus side, our school nurse is really on top of this and informs us of allergies as soon as we get our rosters. (I won't do it if there are allergy issues.)

That having been said, I think this would be a great first day activity. My older daughter said she did it in 4th grade and it was a "friendship mix." Unfortunately, her teacher is not at the school any more. I know there's a "script" that goes with the activity.

Anyone else?? :)

6. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

This is something I found last year:

mini-marshmallows to remind us to be kind to one another
    M&Ms- even though we all look different on the outside, we are all the same on the inside
    Goldfish- we need to swim together
    raisins – mistakes are ok

7. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, but it could be altered to fit the first day of school. I'm thinking of doing it with my fourth graders this year. Hope it helps a little!

Grow A Girl Scout Troop (Trail Mix Ceremony)

Girl Scouts come in all colors, from all races around the world. Every Girl Scout is a sister no matter where she is from, no matter the
    language she speaks, no matter the color of her skin. God loves variety, and Girl Scouts are the colors of the rainbow. (M & M CANDIES)

We have a promise and a law. On our honor, we try to do our best to be fair and square. (CHEX CEREAL)

Some of us are tall, and some of us are small. When we get together, size doesn't matter at all. (PRETZEL THINS AND MINI MARSHMALLOWS)

Sometimes we are nutty. We love to joke and play. We'd love to put a Girl Scout smile into everyone's day. (NUTS) *ask about alergies first

Sometimes we are quiet and thoughtful. We have special gifts of love and caring to give in service to those who need our help. (Goldfish crackers)

When we get together, we seem to make circles. We may sit in circles, play circle games, make a Friendship Circle. You could say that we are
    well-rounded. (CHEERIOS)

When we are busy planning a project, or doing a craft, we pop around until we're done. (POPCORN)

Girl Scouts respect all living things. The earth is our home and we want to keep it safe for everyone. (ANIMAL CRACKERS)

Girl Scouts are "chips off the old block". Girl Scouting began in 1912. Since then we all have been part of an old tradition, and are proud to
    be part of the future. (BANANA CHIPS or Chocolate CHIPS)

We get a kick out of wearing our uniforms, learning new things, helping others, and being together with our friends. (KIX CEREAL)

Young Girl Scouts may be hard to resist because they are fresh, sweet and new. But the older scout maybe more fun, because she has more
    experience. (RAISINS)

Welcome to Troop ? I hope we will have a wonderful year

8. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

there is a really good one that the girl scouts do (I believe it's in the Brownie Handbook). I did it my student teaching year as a community building lesson

parts I can remember

we add pretzles (the thin rods) and marshmallows because we come in different sizes...some of us are tall and thin and others are short and fluffy

m&ms because although we come in all different colors we are the same underneath

I'll see if I can find the real thing on some of my GS websites

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

yep-that's the one I was thinking of above me

10. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

What about a friendship fruit salad? Less probability of allergy issues. I usually do it at the end of school, but it would be cute at the beginning, too. (Mix whatever fruit you want and pour a can of peach pie filling over it all-wonderful!)

11. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

This is the one I use. I also have my kinders come in and wash hands and count out 15 of the fruit on their desk to practice counting and so that each child has a cup to add to the mix. So much fun! I even made a "Friendship Fruit Salad" choose your own adventure story to go with it. I read a scenario and the children choose from a "good" choice and a not so good choice. If they choose the "good" one, it tells them to add that fruit to the salad and if they choose the other one, it tells them to add a rotten banana. We talk about how we do not want to be the rotten banana. Good times!
    Oh, but allergies do come in to play... strawberries seem to be the newest issue in my area. I have all of my parents fill out a form and I get a list from the nurse before doing this.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I know the 100 Day Trail Mix idea spread like wildfire. Maybe we ought to invent a first day of school mix...Just chime in when you think of something to add and the reason for adding it.

add Cheez-its, because when I say "Cheese it", I mean it! (I don't think they'd get it since it's a bit old-fashion.)

add mini-marshmallows, because here in the south, we must remember to pray for snow days.

don't forget the dried prunes--your teacher may look like an old lady, but she good for you

and, of course, banana chips because I don't want any monkeying around.

13. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Ha! Ha! you're too funny-Shouldbeasleep!

14. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

~Cherrios to remind you to come to school cheery...

15. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

I have heard of the friendship salad with fruit and marshmallows. Then you get a really rotten banana out and start to peel it to add. And the kids go no and you say the banana is the bad behaviors and we don't want to add those to our class mix.

16. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

I love the fruit salad ideas. I never would have thought of that, and it's a healthier alternative . . . :)

17. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Lucky Charms Treat---
    I used this idea on the first day of school last year and several of my students recalled this treat in their 'Memories of the school year' booklets.

It was easy to do because it saved me from trying to remember all of the ingredients I needed to buy for the friendship mixes I made in the past. It was just a matter of giving them each a baggie full of Lucky Charms cereal. I'm definitely doing it again!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This special treat is to remind you that I am so glad you are in my class!
    Before you eat your treat, read the special message.
    Search the bag for the marshmallow shapes hidden inside!

You should find:
    A star to remind you that I will encourage you to always shine!
    A rainbow to remind you to use all the colors of YOU to always do your best!
    A blue moon to help you understand that we all make mistakes more often than ‘once in a blue moon’!
    A green clover to give you good luck as you begin fourth grade!
    A purple horseshoe to remind "U" that you matter to me!
    A pot of gold to tell you that you are worth more than gold, itself!
    A red balloon to remind you to soar above the clouds and try new things!
    And most of all--a pink heart to remind you that we all need to care about our learning and about each other!

Let’s have a great year of learning in ____ grade!
    Your teacher, Month/Year

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

Now that is right up my alley. I can write those statements on Word and print off on tagboard. Then put them up on the board so the writing can't be seen. Then invite a child to come up and turn one over for the class to read....Sounds like a good idea!

Think I'll do it. Thanks!

(Maybe I'll still add banana chips and ask them if there is anything in the cereal mixture that doesn't belong--that's right, NO MONKEYING AROUND when it comes to work allowed in this class!)

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

A healthy snack mix -take what you want from it :2up: and to it

Cheerios for a cheery year
    Alphabits because you will learn all your letters (or to be better readers)
    Goldfish because fish travel in schools
    Chex because you will get checks on your papers
    Yogurt raisins because you have to see inside someone to know who they are
    Nuts - because we all get nutty
    Bananas- because there is no monkeying around during work time
    Fruit snacks - Smileys (Walmart brand fruit snacks) to remind you to SMILE!