First Day of School Independent Morning Work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ssmeow, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ssmeow

ssmeow Rookie

Aug 18, 2016

Hello everyone,
    I am a first year teacher. My first day teaching second grade is next week. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for morning work that I can have the students work on independently? I am worried that students are going to be arriving at different times and I would love for them to be able to do something that is fairly self-explanatory. I have other activities planned for the rest of the day, I just don't want to have students sitting idly as everyone gets settled in.
    Thank you!
    -Sara

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 18, 2016

I would put out a colouring sheet, wordsearch or a bin of books to read. You don't want anything you will have to explain or support.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2016

How about having them fill in an autobiographical type template. Some places sell those. I'm trying to find them for my students.

ssmeow and Backroads like this.
  5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 18, 2016

I ALWAYS leave interest inventories for my kids. It also gives you some data to group your kiddos for the next week or two and if the principal walks in you have proof as to why you grouped them the way you did (interests, learning styles, etc.) Since your kiddos are only in 2nd grade, you could even do smiley faces like this: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Student-Survey-with-Smiley-Faces-286680

ssmeow likes this.
  6. ssmeow

ssmeow Rookie

Aug 18, 2016

Thank you! Great ideas! I love the student survey.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2016

I did something about t-shirts as a bulletin board (like what a T-errific summer). I had traced a T-shirt outline on sheet of paper. I asked them to draw and color something they enjoyed over the summer. Then they cut them out. It was a great ice breaker as well. I had them tell us about their T-shirt. I figured it was a good way to do a quick assessment of a few things.

ssmeow likes this.
  8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2016

Have them go around and look at books! A great opportunity to talk to them and get an initial idea of their interests, have them find some good books / talk to their classmates about books they may have seen before, and completely independent of an activity if needed!

ssmeow, WindyCityGal606 and MrsC like this.
  9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 19, 2016

My sister-in-law teaches 4th grade but has taught other levels of elementary school. She said her go-to was a small "All About Me" paper that they would integrate into posters in the coming days.

ssmeow and mathmagic like this.
  10. ssmeow

ssmeow Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

Thank you for the great ideas! I keep adding more to my plans for the day. I would rather have too much planned than too little.

mathmagic likes this.
  11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2016

Well, my kiddos are 6....But, I have them start working on an All-About Me book. The cover is a picture of them that they draw. This makes it easy because my students can't read instructions, so I just quickly tell them and their parents (the parents come in with them) to find their seat, and start drawing themselves.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2016

Always the way to go, no matter what grade/time of year! :)