First Day of School in Second Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mama P, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Does anyone have any ideas for the first 3 days of school in 2nd grade? I am tired of mine. We review procedure, schedule, etc... but I don't like to start my curriculum for the year until the first full week.:help:

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

So do you do getting to know you activities? I do lots of those like me bags, name games, etc. I do things like class tours and math and reading assessments to determine grouping.

The things you are doing are so important for a successful year of classroom management. Maybe try and think of fun and exciting ways to do them. I do role playing and have the kids move around alot to break up the monotony.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

Well, when I was going to teach second grade, I made a lesson plan for every activity for the first 3 days, plus the whole next week. If you PM w/ your email address I will send them to you. I can't use them anymore as my little ones will be new to the building and will need a whole different introduction! (At our school prek-k are in a different area, so it's a big deal when they come to our building!)

5. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I don't start with actual curriculum until about a week into the school year, but I do discuss/model active listening, Think-Pair-Share, and make anchor posters of the reading strategies (one or to a day) which I then model with one read aloud, and students practice with a second read aloud. I also discuss rules/procedures, etc. using the book Miss Nelson is Missing. Though several children have already heard the book, I can then use this as an opportunity to discuss revisiting text for different purposes. I also model my centers (again, one or two per day). In math, we do some first grade review so I can assess their readiness for second grade curriculum (We play Dr. Phil to help get fact families organized, we make human number lines, group posters of real-world examples of geometric shapes, etc.). In science, we talk about science safety rules for experiments, tools of a scientist, etc. In social studies, we talk about the five themes of geography and a quick review of maps. With this out of the way in the first week or so, once we get into the real curriculum, it just flows naturally, and students are familiar with procedures.