First day of school ideas?

Discussion in 'High School' started by inlovewithwords, Jul 15, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 15, 2007

This year will be my official first year of teaching. I will be teaching
    9th grade English to some very struggling readers and writers. I want to do something on the first day of school that will spark their interest for what will be happening in my class throughout the year. I don't want to just play games. I want to do something powerful where we analyze something important...I want them to walk out of class that first day and feel like they didnt want to leave and that they may begin to enjoy reading.
    Anyone have any good article or picture or discussion question? Something that will get everyone into a discussion.
    Please participate in this thread. I need any and all ideas that you have or have used. I really appreciate all your help!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I'm no English teacher, and my kids are driving me nuts at the moment, so consider the source.

But how about the Preamble to the Constitution? Look at the power of those words. Take a look at some of the changes we've faced over the past 200 years and yet those words still apply.

What words would they change or add that would stand the test of time?

4. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I teach 6th grade - but we did this at an inservice once -
    Post an interesting picture (a painting, a photograph, etc.) It needs to be projected - lcd or an overhead projector. Ask the class to think of questions about the picture (mayb 10?) they can do this in groups. Then ask them to share their questions about the picture. Then they get together with their small group again, and brainstorm a list of possible titles for the picture. They can then share and discuss. It gets a class discussion going. . . I think there was another part of the activity, but I can't remember it. sorry!
    I also think it might be neat to read aloud a short story, or even a powerful picture book (the dot is a good one, there are a million!) and do a similar discussion - what are questions, what are possible titles? Good luck!

5. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 19, 2007

That is really great MrsLilhen! I'm gonna do it. Now of course since I'm not creative at all... Can anyone think of a good picture to show them?

6. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

You might try popular song lyrics as inspiration for a discussion on what is important and meaningful in their lives or as demonstration of the power of words. Songs touch everyone; not the same songs of course, but it is a universal medium. Mention poetry to most students and you'll hear groans, but read lyrics from a song (form of poetry) and they'll get excited!