First Day of School ideas?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by teacherSMK, Jul 26, 2011.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

:blush::whistle::blush: - I am a kindergarten teacher, and I love my job! However, art is not my strong suit. :( I am looking for ideas of a special, but simple art/craft to do on the first day with my kinders. I am doing a camping theme in my classroom this year.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    I admire each of you with the title of art teacher. :2up:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

I do too-- I'm just AWFUL at art!!! It gets to the point where my geometry kids complement me if my circle actually looks round. Even my summer SAT kids, who I've met exactly 4 times so far, laugh at my feeble attempts at diagrams.

It doesn't go with the theme, but how about a self portrait? Or a portrait of their families?

I'm thinking you could learn a little about your kids, and the supplies and instruction would be minimal.

4. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2011

I do like that idea, Alice. A colleague had actually mentioned having them draw their families on sketch pad paper and then watercoloring them...I just do not know if that would be too complicated for day one?

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2011

6. ARTrageous

ARTrageous New Member

Aug 8, 2011

Self-portraits and family portraits are always nice things to begin the year with. If you are not comfortable with having the kids watercolor, they could color their drawings with crayons or markers.

Or if you wanted to start out with the camping theme maybe you could find an image of a tent (google images- tent or camping coloring page) and have the kids color it and decorate with some stickers and then you could take each of the kids photos and cut out their faces and glue the faces onto the tents, so it looks like the kids are inside their own tent. It would be cute for a bulletin board. :)

Good luck!

7. ChelZ

ChelZ Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I like the idea of having the kids make a portrait of their families. Maybe draw a line on one half of the paper, write Fall 2011 and then on the other side Spring 2012. Towards the end of the school year have the children draw their family again. It's always fun to see how much the pictures change.

8. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 9, 2011

With my fours for a first day project I would write their names in white crayon on white paper (and write their name in pencil on the back of the paper in the corner) and then let them watercolor it. They love to watercolor and its easy clean up. When they paint, the name shows up

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

Oh my goodness! I had been offline for a few days, and I came back to all these wonderful ideas! I am thinking of combing a few of the ideas...I think I will write their names with a white crayon on tents. I will have them draw a self portrait standing by the tent, then they can watercolor their tent to find their names! I am actually very excited about this! Thanks, everybody. :)