First Day of School First Activity Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewTeacherNJ, Jul 29, 2015.

1. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Jul 29, 2015

What is the very first thing you do when your kids enter your classroom on the first day of school?

I always write out a "script" for the first day timed out and complete with what ill say and do (i'm a control freak). I wanted to get ideas on what is the very first thing you do, how do you get the ball rolling.

I basically blocked out my first year i cant even remember, last year i did a read aloud, what do you do?

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 29, 2015

The literal first thing I do is greet them while standing in the doorway to my classroom and, if needed, direct their attention to the bellwork written on the board. Their bellwork is finding their assigned seats, where their first assignment (an interest inventory) is waiting for them. When everyone seems to be where they should be, I give them a few more minutes to work on the interest inventory and then we move on into the other planned activities.

4. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 29, 2015

Pretty much exactly what OneBerry says. I greet them, tell them what group they're in, and have them start in on an inventory page. That gives me some time to deal with stragglers and anxious/curious parents. Then I pass out my procedure handbook and we get started.

5. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

well after greeting lol i meant your first activity, how do you open your day?

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 7, 2015

Mine typically go to a fine arts class 10 minutes into the day, so I take attendance and walk them to their class. When we return, I do introductions then go into expectations.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2015

Science teacher, so my first day activities will be a little different. We do a modified Multiple Intelligences Test, followed by work with an Observation Box. It always fills the period, and there is a little homework to complete as they evaluate how their MI test results impact how they learn. The next day we study the Observation Box some more, map out strategies for gathering maximum information using clues visible, and how they can propose theories that are supported by the known facts that might help them find the missing/hidden information. If time allows, students start work on their own Observation Box. I love the first couple of days!

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 7, 2015

I like to have signs detailing the features of the classroom so they can get familiarized as they wander around for a bit. Then I call them to their seats and do an official greeting (I too welcome that at the door).

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2015

I teacher first grade. When my students enter, their parents can walk them down so I greet them at the door and have an easy, self explanatory assignment on their desk. I think it was color by the code kind of thing. I helped each one unpack their things so I got all supplies and paperwork if they had it on the first day.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 8, 2015

I went to a Love and Logic conference this summer, and one of the presenters talked about showing her kids a slideshow about her so they could understand more about who she was. I plan to do that this year after a brief greeting/welcome. Then I'll do the same activity as last year (similar to this: http://www.confessionsofateachingjunkie.com/2012/08/the-best-first-day-ever.html) - I put out chart paper on the tables and have them answer questions like "What kind of teacher do you want?" and "What are your goals for this year?" then we reconvene on the carpet and have a discussion about that. I loved it last year. I learned a lot about my class very quickly.

11. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Aug 8, 2015

Funny you mention this! I have this on the list of activities to do. I think i'm just overthinking things. I'm finding it hard to organize a flow or order.

12. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Aug 11, 2015

I'm teaching second this year. This is my first year, and I've never actually seen a first day in a general classroom. I have some getting to know you activities. Some are independent, some use Kagan strategies like mix pair share. Some have students working with partners. All are just team and class building for students. I pretty much have a list of activities and I'm just going to go through them for these first two days (I start Thursday so we have 2 days of school this week). I'm going to integrate those with modeling and practicing classroom and building wide expectations and procedures. Then I'll take notes on what worked for me and what didn't so I'll know for next year. I'll continue with the modeling and practice the following week and so on, but I'll also be getting more into teaching the curriculum by then. At least in math that is. For other areas like guided reading I'll still be teaching some procedures.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 11, 2015

I've seen that done and it's great!

Though I did see one exception... this was a lady who was a bit narcisstic. She made a slide show that was nearly 15 minutes, all about her.