First day of school books

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hockey1021, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hockey1021

hockey1021 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

What are some good first day of school books to read? Are there any good books about respect or bullying or how to act at school? Anything that teaches something?

Thanks

3. cgibbs7

cgibbs7 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

I am going to be reading, First Day Jitters because it is my first year of teaching and like students, I have a lot of jittery feelings. I am also going to center the day around the book, The Kissing Hand.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

How do Dinosaurs Go to School? is a great book because it shows the dinosaurs doing all the wrong things and then how to behave the right way at school. It is a great book to lead of your rules discussion.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 3, 2008

I also have First Day Jitters. In addition, I have Chrysanthemum (great because it deals with strange names), The Night Before First Grade, Wow! School! and A Fine, Fine School. Either the first or second day, I will also read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to my students so that we can get right into phonemic work. I'm hoping to track down a carpet roll (like a very long toilet paper roll) so I can build a huge coconut palm!

6. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

Kevin knows the rules!

There is a new book I've been seeing mentioned a lot on teacher pages... it's called Kevin Knows the Rules by Molly Dowd. It is a read aloud for introducing and modeling your class rules on the first day, and during the first weeks of school for review. The rules are the ones we pretty much all already use, like hands and feet to yourself, walk quietly in the hall, raise your hand, etc. The illustrations show children modeling each rule. and it comes with a centerfold poster. I bought it on amazon.com after I saw it mentioned here on this site. It will be a very good addition to my first day activities!!

7. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Oh you gotta read No David and David goes to School by David Shannon. These are great books for how not to behave at home and at school. I read these and then we role play the right and wrong way to act at school. I have the kids draw pictures to show our school rules as an extention.