first day of school acitivites

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Jul 22, 2009.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Hi all,
    I have been trying ot think of about 2, maybe 3 if I can find another good activity to do with my first grade students on the first day of school, or even during that first week of school. I was thinking of having them fill in an "all about me" type of page when they come in that first day of school so they have something to do, jsut information like their name favorite things etc. (does anyone have a good template for this)
    Also I was thinking of doing a "get to know eachother" activity as well that first day. Something where each student would have a list of questions or something and they had to go around and ask people these questions to find out information about eachother. ex: find someone who has a dog, went on vacation this summer. (anyone have anything or a template for this :) )
    And I know there reading level is not that high yet so I am unsure what type of questions and information to include? Any suggestions is very appreciated! :)

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2009

I am using Word Art to create an outline of everyone's name. I will lay these out on my table and they will come in the room, find their name and decorate it using crayons. I will be able to see who can recognize their name (assessing already!). After we create our class contract, I will staple their decorated names next to it as their signature.

You are very brave if you finger paint! Also, there will be many kids who cannot read well and will be stuck on the "about me"...or that may invite parents to stay longer to help their kid fill it out. I would stick more to coloring or drawing.

In years past, I have passed out a coloring sheet that had the different modes of transportation (car rider, bus rider, daycare, walker/biker) and they were to color and cut out the way they were getting home that day. We would then meet on the floor and create a transportation graph.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks for the ideas Lynn! I was also thinking of having the kids make a class book page that says "My name is _____ and I like to ______." I'll title it something like "Meet Mrs. Cline's new friends" or something like that.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

I'm sure this sounds like a silly question, but what did you have the kids use if they only go to the afterschool program a few days a week and go home another way on the other days? :)

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I usually set out a coloring sheet and a can of play dough for each child on the first day. That will keep them busy for a long time while you greet parents and students and direct them to where they need to go, lunch and milk money, etc. I let them keep the play dough at their table for the first week to use for early finishers or as a 5 minute time filler here and there, then I send it home with them. I do a lot of class and teambuilders the first week, school and color theme activities, and all about me things. Also, the first week is spent doing rules and procedures quite a bit. I bought a package of kid cutouts that are blank and the students decorate them to look like them on the first day and then I hang them from the ceiling in the classroom. The cutouts are about 12 inches tall. I got them at the local teacher supply store. It's fun to do an art project that first morning so that they can use their school supplies right away since they are always so excited to. I try to steer away from doing things where they would have to read worksheets on their own...many of my students cannot read very well at the beginning of first grade. The second day I jump right into math, handwriting, reading workshop, and writing workshop.

7. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Most won't be able to write barely anything, so I wouldn't do much writing, even fill in the blank type stuff.

My biggest hit last year was playing Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar? They could have played forever! Then we all ate cookies. :) It's something they remembered all throughout the year.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2009

Stupid Question time: Can you tell me how to play "Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar?"

9. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

Here ya go......
    I remember playing this in Brownies when I was little. I think I may do this also...maybe with some math/writing tie ins.

WHO STOLE THE COOKIES? GAME
    Here is an old favorite of many teachers. Have children sit in a circle.
    • Place a cookie jar in front of you.
    • Start the game by looking in the empty cookie jar and saying, “Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?”
    • Then point to a child and say their name. Such as; “Mary stole the cookies from the cookie jar.
    • Mary responds, “Who me?”
    • Then all children respond, “Yes, you”.
    • Mary responds, “Couldn’t be”
    • The class says, “Then who?”
    • Mary points to another child (who’s name she knows) and says, “Tommy stole the cookies from the cookie jar”.
    • Game continues until all children have had a turn.
    • A fun ending, is for the teacher to confess, “All right, I confess, I stole the cookies from the cookie jar and here they are.”
    • Teacher passes around a plate of cookies for each child to take one.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2009

That sounds really fun! I just wonder, though... I teach in a very urban, low-income school. Would my kids appreciate the game, or am I just over-thinking it?

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2009

I'm thinking the very urban, low-income school kids would appreciate it more than the very suburban, high-income kids.

12. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I loop with my class, so I already know all of my kiddos from Kindergarten. This can sometimes be a downfall as some of the fun back to school activities are geared towards getting to know one another, however one activity that I love to do is create a book with the kids entitled my first day of first grade. We put a picture of the student on the front, and then send them home with the kids at the end of the first week. It always ends up being a fun project!

I like the playdough idea for when the kiddos first come in. I think I may try this so that I can organize supplies while the kids are coming in :)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

I also like the playdough idea...I wonder if I can find it at a decent price for my 21 kiddos :)

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

I was at the local dollar store and they sold the small PlayDoh's in sets of 8 for a dollar a piece. Not too bad!:D

15. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

That is a good deal!

Or you could make homemade playdough. Just make the white kind. Make it into a ball. Poke a hole in it and put in food coloring. Close the hole and put it in a ziplock bag. The kids squeeze the bag until it is all colored and there is no white left. Then they can take it out and play with it.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

Awesome...I will have to check out my local dollar tree :) (there are like 3 in a 15 minute drive...I'm bound to find enough! yay!)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

My kitchen might not forgive me :lol: Last time I tried to make homemade dough for our volcanoes, it was awful! I promised my kitchen I'd never try it again! :rofl:

18. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

You made my day! I am laughing while trying to imagine what happened! Sounds like you better head to the dollar store! :lol:

19. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2009

Hahahahahahaha LeighBall!!!!! Hysterical!

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2009

Dough was everywhere...and it was sticky and messy and smelly. My fiance wanted to kill me :) And I cleaned the kitchen for hours... :lol:

21. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

About Who Stole the Cookie....
    We played it where we would all sit in a circle. The kids would close their eyes, and I would walk around the circle and quietly place a fake cookie behind one student. The students opened their eyes and had to feel behind them to see if they were the "cookie stealer", without showing it on their face. Then, I'd start the game with the rhyme. The point was to figure out who stole the cookie, so we'd keep going with the chant until we called the person who DID steal the cookie. He/she would just say YES! I STOLE THE COOKIE! Then that person would be the next to hide it behind someone.

22. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Friend, Friend Who Do You See?

We sit in a circle and go around the room singing (like Brown Bear, Brown Bear)
    Johnny, Johnny who do you see? I see Sarah looking at me.
    Sarah, Sarah who do you see?

Then when it gets to the end of the circle,
    "Mrs. B., Mrs. B., who do you see? I see busy bees looking at me.
    OR
    I see 1st graders looking at me.

Then we turn this into our 1st class book.
    Throughout the year, we revisit this same song over and over sometimes as a time filler or when we get a new student, etc.
    My kids love it.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2009

Okay, time for another stupid question...
    Exactly what do you turn into your 1st class book? Do the students draw pictures of themselves? I'm sorry to be so dense...

24. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Friend, Friend Who Do You See Book

Hopefully this will make sense.........;)

I take pictures of my kids on the first day of school. Then I use the pictures as the illustrations for the book. I mount the pictures and the sentences onto construction paper, laminate, and bind on the book binder.

The first page will have a pic of a Johnny. Underneath the picture it'll say "Johnny, Johnny who do you see?"

At the top of the next page "I see Sarah looking at me." Then a pic of Sarah. Underneath the pic "Sarah, Sarah who do you see?"

So on and so on.....

My students read this class book all year long, it's one of their favorites. It's great at Open House in May 'cause parents love to see their kids pics from way back in Aug.

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2009

OMG, mel-bel, I LOVE IT! I'm so dense and un-creative that I can't come up with stuff like that on my own, but I'm a darn good mimic! That's a fabulous idea, and I plan to steal it, if you don't mind. Any others?

26. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

I used to have the kids write their names (and whoever they see) in the blanks I left but it was very confusing. I think I like your idea of me just typing it all at this point in the year.