First day of face-to-face instructions..

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by heather002, Oct 20, 2020.

1. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Oct 20, 2020

I would not be surprised if I'm tested positive for Covid two weeks from now haha..
    Kids constantly taking off their masks, eating breakfast, lunch, and snacks in class with the AC on the whole time.. Dismissal was horrible as well. There were so many students, so there was just not enough space for social distancing. They just waited in line, standing very close to each other. My school is in the neighborhood with #1 Covid cases in the city, and our campus had several cases even before face-to-face started.
    I just can't believe that my district and school are willing to risk our lives like this..

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2020

I’m so sorry. We’ve been face to face since the school year started but in a rural community. We have 6 feet between students and smaller class sizes. The hallway is still a nightmare though.

heather002 and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2020

3 of the bigger (smarter) districts here started online. A couple of the bigger ones ( including this one) started F2f. It is absolutely ridiculous. Teachers have been exposed and 1 I know got very ill.
    The 2 main big ones have different ways of doing things, I think. Ours would shut down the school for a day or 2 for "deep cleaning." Only certain people were told to quarantine.
    The other 1 had to shut down a ton of schools 2 weeks ago and more this week. They have cases of teachers and kids. I am really irked b/c everyone saw this coming.
    A huge % of teachers were not comfortable going back f2f, but the school board during their "Zoom meetings" thought it was safe. ( Even though it was not safe for them to hold public SB meetings, F2F.) A couple of the SB members were always known as idiots, but now I have lost respect for all of them.
    One of my bf's has actually told me if she catches it and dies ( high risk group) to sue the district on her behalf. I know online learning is hard and not the best way to learn, but really! Putting people at risk like this is wrong. We have a lot of older teachers who are almost at retirement age. They can't just quit.

heather002 likes this.
  5. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Oct 21, 2020

Wow!!! It's like you're describing our district. I actually said the same thing to my best friend and my family, to sue the district if I catch the Covid and die. I was half joking, but....

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2020

Yeah, it is sad it has come to this. Our schools are not real transparent about what's up either. The teens seem to be the ones who know who is sick before teachers are ever even informed there is a problem. I really think districts, states, and nationally they need to be making data open to the public.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2020

I also told my husband to sue the pants off my district! I had been very careful about my exposure so if I’m sick, it’s because of being required to teach f2f. My obituary will say that nobody in my administration, nor in the community that demanded f2f instruction will be welcome at services. Crazy times!