First Day of 2010-2011

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MelissainGA, Aug 6, 2010.

1. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

Well our first day is in the books. I can only say it was AWESOME :) I only had 13 of 21 that are on my list show up but they are amazing. I went over rules, we talked about what is expected and what we should and shouldn't do, how it isn't acceptable to "distract from the learning of others" and also how we really have lots to do or otherwise we will end up having a really really bad situation occur (we would have ourselves and our teacher get in trouble for not being able to pass the state testing to be able to go on to 4th grade), took our walking tour of the downstairs (our level), we reviewed some math concepts and skills that I wanted to review with them (they did really well), I was able to give them an individalized Reading Assessment (have NEVER been able to give that on the first day no matter what the class size). According to the results they range from beginning 2nd grade level to ending level of approximately 5th or 6th level. Hopefully when the remaining 8 students show up everything will continue to run as smoothly. I so far have 1 that I had to bring out the "teacher voice" to today but nothing compared to the norm.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2010

Congrats on such a fabulous first day of the school year! I pray it is the way things will be for you all year!

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

thanks pw,

yeah after last year I do too, last year the grouping was a challenge (big time) and hopefully when the rest show up it will continue to be quiet and calm.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

Just finished the second day of school. I have 13 students in my regular 5th grade class, and it looks like we aren't going to lose a teacher. The enrollment is low all across the county and they have nowhere to move teachers. There are some kindergarten classes in the county with 8 kids. I guess the county office just didn't realize how many homes were foreclosed and jobs were lost. I heard our county was second in the state now for unemployment. I just hope no teacher joins that number.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 6, 2010

That's just awful, my county is losing population too.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

Any idea on why so many no shows?

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

Congratulations on a successful first day!

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

We are figuring that a couple may have moved. The rest just didn't want to come on a Friday I imagine. We have started on Friday since I have been here and it's always usually the Monday after before they show up. I normally have at least 4 or 5 "No Shows" the first day. They are usually all there on the Monday after the first day though. I am just wondering what they will do when our classes are full (superintendent stated we would NOT go over 23) and of our 8 most of us are close on our "actual list" and haven't had anyone come in from up north yet (they usually don't move down until Labor Day because they aren't aware we start so early). That's when things get interesting.

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

Maybe some parents didnt want to sent them on a Friday, but now you have to repeat it all over again on Monday. Maybe you all should have waited that extra day to start. I love starting mid week, but I know class attendance takes a hit. We start this coming monday, I hope all my students show up and the ones that havent gone to register do so.

Congrats and good luck!

11. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

That is amazing to me. We have four 4th grade classrooms and we each have 28 kids. 5th grade has 28 or 29 each. I'd love to have 13, or even my 21 from last year. It seems to take twice as long to do everything with 28.

Friday was our 2nd day and all my kids were there both days. They were really good and I think they will be an awesome class, but 28 will take some getting used to. My room is packed! We have to have indoor recess because of the heat index and there is no room for them to play board games. Oh well, at least I have a job.:)

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

13 :haha: .....try 30 middle schoolers :eek:

But overall I had a GREAT 1st day too! My 6th grade babies ARE GREAT! And my 7 & 8's are hysterical! Wonderful start to the year!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2010

I hope my 1st day is just as good. This will be my 2nd year with 1st grade and I am super excited.