First day nerves!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Aug 16, 2016.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 16, 2016

This will be my 6th school year. First day is tomorrow. I'm getting nervous, but this year I feel more excited than anxious.

Do you still get nervous?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2016

I was a little nervous last night and this morning, but as soon as the kids started coming in to first period, it was like I had never left! I haven't had my seniors yet and am a little nervous about this class, but am keeping an open mind!

linswin23 likes this.
  4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2016

I get excited to begin teaching routines and procedures. The first day is mostly practicing these and setting up lockers and desks. It goes so quick that the bell rings before we know it!

linswin23 likes this.
  5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 17, 2016

Just had my homeroom and now I'm on prep. I have my seniors next period! I'm excited and nervous to meet them. I always get really nervous right before the kids come in and then once everyone is settled I remember why I'm in teaching. I love it.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 17, 2016

This is my 4t year, tecnically I've had 5 "first day of school"s (I started in April, so I had a first day ten as well. The first 2 first days I was nervous, but not since then.

I realized that yes, your first impression counts a lot, and how you explain your expectations, etc, but what makes a bigger difference is how you follow through on day 2 and 3. So this lowered some anxiety. Another reason I was nervous was that I was dreading to have a kid already acting up and I have to handle it and come down on them hard. Well, I make the first day pretty easy going, we go over expectations, etc, but I give them time to chat and catch up, so the 1st day of school in the past 3 years have been quite enjoyable and not at all nervous, not even the day before.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. live

live Companion

Aug 17, 2016

I actually get more nervous each year, but only because I'm now aware of the disorganization and chaos that will inevitably occur the first few days (e.g. last year 70 students were scheduled in my classroom that seats 30). I guess I've never been lucky in having a smooth start and I don't thrive on the unknown like others do so well.

I absolutely love the middle of the year after everything settles.

linswin23 likes this.
  8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2016

I'm still settling into my routine, but so far, so great! I have seen all my seniors and while I do have some "characters" and a lot of very "kinesthetic" boys, so far they all seem to have a positive attitude. As I always say, though, ask me how I'm doing in November...!

9. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 20, 2016

I think it's good to be a little nervous or anxious about the first day. It's natural. It means you know how important your job is and you want to be successful at it. That's good!

I hope everyone who has already experienced their First Day of School is having a lovely weekend, and those who have First Days in the coming week have great success! Our students start on the 29th, so I've got a week of workdays ahead of me which I'm surprisingly excited about. I'm ready to see my school family again! :)

ms.irene likes this.
  10. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

This is my first year teaching, and school starts on Monday! I'm new to everything, still not used to the school system, and confused! I'm super nervous!!! :confused:

11. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 21, 2016

You'll do great! Don't be afraid to ask your colleagues questions and for help! They were all first year teachers once too, and will probably be more than happy to answer your questions or lend a helping hand.
    Best of luck to you!

12. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

Thank you! I ask my colleagues so many questions!! But there are always new questions coming up.. I almost feel like I'm bothering them.. Can't wait to gain experience and get used to everything!

13. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 21, 2016

You're not bothering them, trust me!
    This is my 15th year, and I still ask everyone tons of questions! Including teachers with far fewer years in the classroom than me! We're teachers, so we love two things: learning and helping. Asking questions helps us learn, and being asked questions allows us to both help someone AND gives us an opportunity to learn too (because if we don't know the answer, we'll find out!).
    Have a GREAT first day, and a FABULOUS year! :)

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 21, 2016

Having 70 in a room that fits 30 would stress almost every person out! It would stress me out.

otterpop likes this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 21, 2016

Nervous and excited over here too!

Although I haven't met my students yet, a few of their reputations proceed them in a not so great way. So I'm a bit hesitant about that. But, actually, sometimes the "difficult" kids do quite well in my class. I'm a big believer in fresh starts.

Also, I'm excited to try out some new teaching strategies! This will be my first year teaching the same curriculum, so I feel like I can focus more on my methods rather than just getting to know the curriculum.

linswin23 likes this.
  16. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Aug 24, 2016

Now that I've gotten through the first five days of school I am in the zone! :)

I think that it's always hard for me to adjust back because I get so used to being on vacation.

ms.irene likes this.