first day my kids had a sub

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lcluigs03, Sep 13, 2006.

1. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 13, 2006

today my kids had a sub because i had to administer reading tests to all the kids in my room. well they were TERRIBLE! the sub didn't follow any plans and got them all riled up and then decided to say that my kids were unruly to other teachers. THEY are not unruly, HE is! i had kids crying and they were screaming and being completely loud! not cool. i'm so unhappy with the sub that i went and told the principals! maybe i just caused a problem, but i don't care. i'm unhappy that my kids were so out of control. i have another sub on friday. i DON'T want one! i wanna be in control and have my room back.

i did have the "sub" talk with them. and told them i'd give them a reward if they do good. well, they pretty much shot that! now what? what do you all do for subs?

thanks.
    LC:(

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2006

I had a bad bad sub once who mae my kids cry, have stress headaches, go to the nurse with stomachaches without asking. I told the administration I could never have her again. Then I sat my kids down and told them they would NEVER have that sub again and that I needed to trust them to do the right thing when I was out of the room and a sub was there. It was fine after that....

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 13, 2006

I will always remember when I had a workshop in the second month of my first year of teaching for two days... and the sub was a nightmare! My kids were OUT OF CONTROL, and the room was left in shambles. On the 2nd day, she handed out Oreo cookies to them to make them behave. I was so upset I almost threw up. I couldn't believe she was bribing them, and she was barely following the lesson plans. I am being completely honest. This was two years ago.

5. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Sep 14, 2006

Oh no, you're making me nervous. I just took my first day off today and I didn't have the opportunity to have the sub talk with them. Here's hoping everything goes okay.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 15, 2006

Several years ago I was sent to a week long workshop. The sub called my girls Queen & Princess, going so far as to write Queen (child's name) on their folders. I think she was calling the boys Kings. It took me several weeks to get the kids back under control. As the sub was the principal's daughter I couldn't do anything! I like it when you can get to know the subs & then be able to request someone!

7. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

Queen, Princess, and King? That is so unprofessional. It must have been difficult for you to not be able to talk with the principal. I'm going to be subbing this year, and this thread is a BIG help. I know what NOT to do!

8. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 16, 2006

I had jury duty one day and requested a sub who had asked me to use him -- an older, unassertive gentleman. All he had to do was administer a test to honors students. As I was grading the tests, I noticed that two girls had all the same answers (they were friends but sat on opposite sides of the room when the seating chart was enforced). Another pair of friends had both written "Bachtovin" instead of "Beethoven" for one answer.

The kids in another class told me that this class was bragging about how the sub let them switch seats and talk during the test! The sub had the gall to tell me the next day that he thought I was so lucky to teach so many honors classes and that he would love to sub for me again. I told the substitute liaison that I wouldn't use him again.

It was a book test, so instead of a multiple choice test, I wrote up a test that was ten essay questions. I gave them the chance to confess by giving them something to sign saying that they hadn't cheated. I told them that if they didn't sign it, I wouldn't do anything to them except make them retake the test. If they didn't take responsibility, then the whole class would have to take the essay test right then and there. One of the four girls owned up to it, but when she saw that nobody else did, she told me that, oops, no, she hadn't cheated after all. So they all took the retake and everyone was unhappy. Stupid sub!

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 16, 2006

I had to have a sub this year on days 2, 3, and 4 of school to go out of state for my Mother's funeral. I was able to be with the kids on the Friday before this so that I could explain to them what was happening and why I was going to be out. I told them what I expected and that if they would do as I asked that I would put a dollar for each day that I was gone in the "compliment pig" (they have to earn 10 dollars in the pig to earn a good behavior reward party) if I had a good report from the sub. When I returned on the 5th day of school I found a not from the substitute that stated they had behaved wonderfully. Everyone followed the rules and completed their work. I was amazed that at the beginning of the year a class could behave that well for a substitute. I wouldn't have expected it with last year's group. They were not a group that I could trust an inch. I have a very intelligent group this year and honestly feel even though they are second graders they realize what should and shouldn't be done. Good luck and try telling your kids what you expect and just reinforce the rules daily.