First day mid year classroom culture-building

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jan 25, 2020

So, I begin at my new school Feb 12th! I am so excited to meet all my new high school science students. I generally do several culture-building activities the first day of the school year to get to know students and for them to get to know each other and build a climate of respect and safety. It feels weird coming in mid-year though! I need to get to know the students’ names and they need to get to know me before I launch into instruction. I am big into environment-setting and establishing a sense of safety and want students to feel comfortable giving wrong answers to questions without judgement.
    Any good games or culture-building ideas for my first couple days?

3. mdword

mdword New Member

Jan 25, 2020

It might be a good idea to test some icebreaker activities. There are various options out there, but in my experience--limited, granted--the most enjoyable I've seen was a 'snowball' fight: students write down facts about themselves on a piece of paper, crumple it, then throw them around the room. Then, students are tasked with finding which snowball belongs to who.

It's a good way of introducing students to each other in a fun way, and I think it's a bit more unique than standard options a la Two Truths and a Lie.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 25, 2020

I like to type out lists of things that kids may have in common with each other and me as an icebreaker. They can be as simple or tricky as you want them to be. Like find someone who likes and has a dog. Find someone who was born in/ outside of this state. Find someone who likes your favorite song, TV show, or game.
    The kids wander and sign off on 1-2 of a person's list. I try to limit it, so they will move on to someone else. You can learn somethings about the students by wandering w/ your own list too.
    The others I can think of are more for younger kids. Congrats on your new job and best of luck to you!

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jan 25, 2020

I would just ask the buggers to volunteer something about themselves, and then start the lesson. You are there to teach!