First Day Math!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Jul 26, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

I am teaching math next year, 4th grade. I was looking for ideas for a math "get to know you" activity.

I remember in scool doing a shield that was like, all about you....but I can't remember what it was and what you had to do.

What do you do in math for your 1st day activity?

Thank you!

3. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

One thing I did last year was when they came in I had about 5 different math problems (or various degrees of difficulty) on the board. After introductions and talking about procedures, etc., I had volunteers help me solve the problems. Each answer was a "clue" about me. For example, I had a subtraction problem that resulted in the year I was born. They had to guess what each answer referred to. Homewoek that night was to write five of their own math problems that were clues about themselves. They really enjoyed it and it gave me a chance to informally measure their knowledge about several types of problems.
    Also, I did an "All About You" shirt, where they cut out a t-shirt on blank paper and decorated it to represent themselves using pictures, numbers, and words. I think I had a list of ideas of things to include but I didn't really require anything specific....it gave me a chance while they were decorating them to go around the room and get to know them based on what they were drawing.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

In the past, I had my students create a "Math About Me" poster. They needed to include number and other math concepts that told something about them. For example, soccer jersey number, house number, age, number of people in family, etc. They were encouraged to be creative (e.g. 1000-746 = my house number, 75% = my soccer team's winning percentage) and to include make their posters visually appealling with colour, illustrations, pictures, etc.

5. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 26, 2009

My suggestion is much like Mrs. C.'s...great minds, right?! :) I run off an outline of a body on 11X17 paper. We brainstorm on the board all the different kinds of numbers that define us. Then, the students label the poster "Numbers That Name Me" and decorate the person to look like them. They work the numbers into their attire, and then 'float' the rest of the numbers around the poster. They really turn out cute and colorful for a first day art display. :)

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

We're going Sunflower glyphs about them and then generating questions that can be answered by the glyphs. The answers will be graphed.

I'll also be leaving these up on the bulletin board until after our Parent Orientation night. I always give the parents some kind of activity to do. With this they are going to have to decode the glyphs using the key and identify which one their child made.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

My students do a few math magic problems the first day (which always fascinates them), and on the second day, I do a data activity where kids must line up by- middle name, height, and shoe size.

I may also do a variation on the birthday bar graph the first day-
    1. Have students come to the data board in the room to put their name up for a line graph. Example-
    January- x x x
    February- x
    March- x x
    April- x x x
    May- x
    June- x
    July- x
    August-
    September- x x x x
    October- x x
    November- x x x
    December- x x x x

2. We'll discuss the data. (Example- August doesn't have any birthdays. When we make a line graph, we still have to display that it has 0 students, etc.)

3. We'll make the bar graph on big paper with ticks on the side. I want to make sure the students have equal tick marks, so I'll supply this paper. They'll color in the amounts for each month.

4. We'll look at the bar graph.

5. We may then cut out each bar, tape them on top of one another, and convert the bar graph into a circle graph by wrapping the connected bars in a circle and then bringing the lines to the center to make a circle graph.

I like Mrs. C.'s idea, also.