First Day Math!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Jul 26, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

So I am an elementary school teacher but I decided to come here because I was hoping I would maybe get some help.

I am teaching math next year, 4th grade. I was looking for ideas for a math "get to know you" activity.

I remember in scool doing a shield that was like, all about you....but I can't remember what it was and what you had to do.

What do you do in math for your 1st day activity?

Thank you!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

I teach.

Hi, I'm Mrs. A. Here are the supplies you'll need, here's how our class will work...

Any questions?

Does everyone have some paper and something to write with?

OK, let's begin.

Algebra will start with Order of Operations, Geometry will start with some basic definitions. School starts on Tuesday, the first quiz will be Thursday.

4. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

I'm a little confused! Is it a joke ot them or are you saying you just get down to business?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

No, it's not a joke, though I'm a bit amused that you think so.

I teach high school. My kids don't need "getting to know you" games; the freshmen have just come off a week of orientation and the sophs know each other already-- and know me by reputation already.

So we get right to work, I assign homework, and let them know when their first quiz will be.

They leave that room with no doubt that they'll be learning a lot of math.

I'm not mean, I don't yell, and my kids enjoy my class. But we cover a LOT of math.

6. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

got it!! I teach 4th grade so we have to be cute still. Day 2, it's business time and time to get to work :)

7. MrsS7

MrsS7 New Member

Jul 30, 2009

There's a few ways you could do this, using a bag of M&M's. Have the class vote on a favorite color, you just choose one, etc. Give each student a mini bag and if your chosen color is green for example, depending on how many green M&Ms each has they need to give that many interesting facts about themselves. Or you could have each color mean something, and they need to give facts accordingly. When you are finished, you can create a bar graph on the board to show which color was found most often. There are so many different variations, and of course, they get to eat them when you are finished with the activity!

8. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I do a "Math about Me" on the first day of school with my students which can work for any grade level. I hand out a notecard and model it with them first. They have to use numbers to describe themselves. For example, my third graders would write I have 6-2 siblings. I have 1x1 dogs etc. Hope this helps.

9. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

OH and I also take their pictures and then tape the picture to the notecard and hang it outside the room for back to school night. The parents loved it.

10. math/sci6

math/sci6 Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

Love the "Math About Me" NJTeacher82! Very cute! Think I am going to adapt that for my 6th graders!

11. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

Thanks so much! I'll be doing this as well :D