First day math activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher13, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Teacher13

Teacher13 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

Hi! Anyone have any fun math activities for the first week of school. I teach 2nd grade and am just looking for something easy and interactive to get them thinking about math and doing some review work.
    Thanks!

3. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

How about graphing M&M's or something else. I think there is even a book for M&M graphing.

4. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 2, 2007

Flashcards in partners is always fun for 2nd graders. Or dominos adding up dominos is a fun beginning activity. How about a whole class addition bingo? They are pretty cheap at the teacher's stores.;)

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2007

I am going to have them make "favorites" polls. I have done this with 2nd graders-5th graders. Simply make a blank graph and have them choose a thing to have a favorite of. Don't let them create an "other" category, because it skews the results too much.

For example, What's your favorite kind of chips?

Cheetos, Fritos, Doritos, Potato chips or Tortilla Chips?
    They take the poll with tally marks first.
    Then they color in a graph to show the results.
    Finally, they can color in a pie chart you make at http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx

I make all the categories white, then when I print it, I white out the numbers and photocopy, which leaves a pie chart you can color in. Leave item label white, put the value for each slot as 1, then do the color in white. If you have 25 students, make 25 slices, if you have 12 you can make 12 slices. It has worked really well for me. I think the kids could also use the computer program, but for my kids it's often the first time making a pie chart, so I would save that for later, after they really know how one works.

It might take a couple of days, but it's a great get to know you activity. They can find out what everyone's favorite things are. Let them choose what the category is, and they will be very creative! I usually have them pick 5 choices for the other kids to do. I am going to work on this the first 3 days, and for my kids, lead into fractions.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 2, 2007

I went to the NCES site and they changed the graphing slightly. It used to be that every pie slice had a black outline, but now they don't. I fixed that by making every other pie slice the very lightest gray. I am hoping it prints out ok, and that the kids will still get the idea. I'm a little bummed because it was nice to have it with the black outline which was perfect for coloring in.

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 2, 2007

i did birthday math, filled out my birthday poster, then we made a chart with tally marks, then made it into a bar graph that they colored.