First Day Jitters

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teach4joy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

I started teaching mid year this past year, so I never did the whole first day of school thing. Im super excited to have my First, first day of school but Im running out of ideas. What can I do with a self contained severe 1-3 grade class. Most of my students are cognitively functioning around 9 months to 3 years.

Here is my list so far.

1. Play a name game/song with all students so they get to know each other.

2. Give each student a picture map of the school and then go on a walk through. Each student will have a stop and go sign. When we reach a certain destination (library, cafeteria, office, bathroom, recess, etc..) we will hold up the stop sign, find the spot on our map and then take a tour of the spot (library).

3. Practice checking visual schedules, walking in line, going over class rules, ex: hands to self, nice to friends, quiet voices, eyes watching, ears listening,

4. Read an about me book so the kids feel comfortable with me

What else can I do, or have you done that has been successful?

Thanks any input would help

3. spedtchr

spedtchr Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

We also went and introduced ourselves to important people in the building (principal, custodians, cafeteria staff, etc)

You could take pictures of each child and use them to decorate the areas that belong to them (their coat hook or their desk). I usually let my students make something to help decorate the room.

Do you have assistants? Maybe they could have about me books, too? And then the children could make one about themselves afterwards?

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2009

I use "Me Books" in my severe autism class. Pm me if you'd like to see what they include... We review them at morning message each morning. It's great exposure to address, birthday, phone number, family members etc. I use actual photos within boardmaker templates I've created. It's great!

5. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

those are both great ideas, didnt think of having the aides do one but I def will. "Me books" would be great, love to see them.