First day jitters!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by readytoteach4th, Aug 12, 2007.

1. readytoteach4th

readytoteach4th Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I am very nervous about the first day of school!
    What do some of you do on the first day? Do you assign homework the first week, or do you wait until the second once they get into the routine of being back in action? :unsure:

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

You'll love fourth graders!
    First day: read-aloud, art activity, tour of room, procedures, class pledge or expectations, game, reading inventory.

I usually give a small amount of homework on the second day (we start on a Tuesday) because they need to get used to it, and actually some kids are kind of excited to get some.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I am planning: Ice Breaker---Bingo- Get to know each other
    ---Two Truths and a Lie
    Then I will talk about myself---and have 3 things in a bag to tell about myself (which leads into a writing lesson for tomorrow, when they bring three things in a bag to tell about themselves) this is from10 Easy Writing Lessons.
    My theme is Teamwork--so I also have a bunch of mini sports balls and I am going to break the kids into teams to come up with a game and the rules to the game (they love to play these games they came up with throughout the year as a treat--but this will lead into rules for the class--and I will discuss the organization of the class, etc.
    Then I will give a Math assessment test
    Yes to homework--
    First Night --I give them a brown bag and have them fill it with the three things for the next day and the rest of the week will be reading and spelling words. I keep it light for the first week.

5. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Wow! Thank you so much for asking this question because I just got some really great ideas. Thank you Matt633. I think having teamwork activities is an awesome idea. The earlier we get our kids working cooperatively together, the smoother the year will flow :rolleyes:

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

There is actually a book called First Day Jitters. I thought you were going to post about it. Look it up, it is very cute! You could read it to your class the first day.