First Day Jitters...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by halpey1, Aug 8, 2006.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

Ok so maybe this is pathetic... but is it weird that I'm getting nervous about school starting? I've been trained and I've even met my class (at step up day) - so why do I feel like I don't know what I'm doing? Part of me knows I'm just being silly, but the other part... my forehead is breaking out already! :eek:

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2006

I'm always nervous. There's nothing wrong with that. One of the books I like to read to the kids on the day is "First Day Jitters". It's a very good book, and shows the kids that sometimes the teacher is nervous about meeting her new class too.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

Yes I have that book and plan to read it (although in my case it's "his" new class) - I just worry that I don't know what I'm doing (it's my first year). I know it's silly.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2006

I felt the same way my 1st year. Luckily, I have some really great colleagues. Everyone is very willing to help and share. This is my 3rd year and I still feel that way sometimes. We're combining parts of 2 schools to make a new school, and we're not really sure how it will be running. The building isn't even completed yet. We're supposed to move in next Wednesday, and school starts the Monday after.
    The first few weeks are basically getting to know your students and routines. We do a lot of testing (DRA, DSA, DIBEL's) at the beginning of the year. I just make sure I overplan. That way I don't run out of stuff to do. It's okay if I don't get to some things. I can just move it to the next week if it really needs to be done.

6. AnnApple

AnnApple New Member

Aug 8, 2006

:p I'm very nervous about starting, so I don't think of it as pathetic as mjch as the butterflies we get when we do something we have never done before. Training is different than reality. We are headed for a reality check. ;)

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2006

I'm starting my eighth year and I always get that nervous excitement. Honestly, I think nervousness is healthy. Teaching is hard and you are dealing with so many different personalities. I'm glad you aren't just glib or arrogant about it! (How's that for a pep talk? :rolleyes: )

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 8, 2006

That's a really good point/perspective sevenplus!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

You never really know what the culture of your class will be until you start, so there's always the unknown. I like the feeling, actually. And, I try new things each year ('cause I'm never satisfied) so I never know if they'll work or not. Don't worry about not knowing what you're doing. Each person makes his/her own way and it just takes time.

10. MissB

MissB Companion

Aug 8, 2006

You are a great teacher! It's normal to be so nervous. Sometimes I think 'why did they certify me, I don't know anything!' But then I remember, I do know how to teach. The first year is going to be HARD! But just remember everything that you learned. Plan your weeks and days, and be flexible. Always follow through with discipline- be mean the first week! haha (not really though). You are loving and caring and your students are going to thrive!!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2006

This is my 12th year of teaching and I am nervous and frazzled right now. I think every year there is something new- it's going to happen. (I am in a new grade and have a new principal.)

12. taliaca8

taliaca8 New Member

Aug 14, 2006

First year concerns

This coming year is my first year in a self-contained class. Last year I was part of the Expressive Arts Dept, where I taught creative movement and creative writing to grades K-3. I am so nervous about this coming year and I have about 2 and a half weeks to finish preparing.
    I have made "to do" lists as far as things I need to do and supplies I need to purchase, I also have an idea on how I want to structure my class, yet I still feel lost and quite scared......help!